Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to 5.13s in my JK, i know i need a front carrier for the dana 30.

I am getting two stories for the dana 44 in the rear. One place i read says theres a "differential carrier break" between 3.73 and 3.92 and one the next place says NO. That said, i can't find any part numbers that differentiate between the two, If i do need one does anyone have Yukon part number?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just throwing this out there. Putting 5.13s in a Dana 30 is a bad idea.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Its pretty much a street/wife goes in the snow jeep does see the the forrest service trail once and awhile or a jaunt down the beach in the sand but not much more...i am not convinced that a 3.8 pushing an automatic is capable of hurting anything other than my pride. :)

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
The rear carrier break is between 3.21 and 3.73. So if you have 3.73 you are fine.
As for the front D30 I believe it is the same carrier break 3.21/3.73.
5.13 are just fine but do put a heavier front diff cover to support the housing center section.
Reference https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-11860188-dana-30-jk-carrier-3-73-up.html

Beware when researching that you specify JK D30 and JK D44 they are a different animal the then the previous versions on these axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Wow,
That's a lot of gear for a grocery getter.
just say'n

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Wow,
That's a lot of gear for a grocery getter.
just say'n

Like Bob has already said, 5.13 is the norm for a 3.8 auto.
For perspective, 5.13 w/3.8 auto is equivalent to 4.10 w/3.6 auto.
And people wonder why the 3.8 felt gutless. It was all in the gearing folks.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Like Bob has already said, 5.13 is the norm for a 3.8 auto.
For perspective, 5.13 w/3.8 auto is equivalent to 4.10 w/3.6 auto.
And people wonder why the 3.8 felt gutless. It was all in the gearing folks.

Really.
That 3.8 must be a gutless engine.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The 3.8L isn't all that bad but the 42RLE was a dog due to it's gearing.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
It’s not when you gear it properly. 3.8 with 5.38 gears and 37s is just as snappy as my 3.6 with 4.10 on 35s.

An engine that needs 38's to be snappy is a dog.
Reminds me of my '47 CJ2A.
jmo.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
An engine that needs 38's to be snappy is a dog.
Reminds me of my '47 CJ2A.
jmo.

I think you are missing my point. It’s not the engine, it’s the shitty 4spd that’s geared too high. If you put the new 5 speed on the 3.8 it would feel just like the 3.6.
5.38 gears with the 4spd is same final drive as 4.10 gears with the 5spd. Has nothing to do with the motor.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The rear carrier break is between 3.21 and 3.73. So if you have 3.73 you are fine.
This is incorrect.

The JK Dana 44 has one carrier for 3.21 to 5.38 gears. You don't have to change the carriers no matter what gears you started with or go to.

As for the front D30 I believe it is the same carrier break 3.21/3.73.
This is correct.

5.13 are just fine but do put a heavier front diff cover to support the housing center section.
Reference https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-11860188-dana-30-jk-carrier-3-73-up.html
Good information.

Beware when researching that you specify JK D30 and JK D44 they are a different animal the then the previous versions on these axles.

Also good advice. In addition, there are differences between the Rubicon and non-Rubicon rear Dana 44 in the JK. The gears are the same, but the carriers and bearings are not and you can't swap between the two. Also, the axle shafts are different as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts