Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hey folks, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on re-gearing my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 3.73.

I have open differentials.
Dana 30 in the front.
Dana 44 in the back.

What should I be shopping for?

Tell it to me like I'm a hardheaded kid.

I see Ring & Pinion sets (e.g., https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetr...tl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_pDetail_productSpecs) but that certainly can't be all the parts for re-gearing a front end. Or is it?

My goal here is to get very clear information on what PARTS I should be considering.

Are there any parts manufacturers that have horrible reputations who should be avoided?

--

Yes, I'm also interested in lockers, but let's leave that out for this conversation. Also, let's omit installation. I understand that i'll have to shop around for qualified installers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Honestly, I'd let the installer you chose order the parts. That way they can't come back to you if something goes wrong with them and say that the part was to blame, not the install.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey folks, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on re-gearing my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 3.73.

I have open differentials.
Dana 44 in the front.
Dana 33 in the back.

What should I be shopping for?

Tell it to me like I'm a hardheaded kid.

I see Ring & Pinion sets (e.g., https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetr...tl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_pDetail_productSpecs) but that certainly can't be all the parts for re-gearing a front end. Or is it?

My goal here is to get very clear information on what PARTS I should be considering.

Are there any parts manufacturers that have horrible reputations who should be avoided?

--

Yes, I'm also interested in lockers, but let's leave that out for this conversation. Also, let's omit installation. I understand that i'll have to shop around for qualified installers.

Thanks!
I have a friend who installed my 4.88 front and rear. I ordered the ring and pinion and master overhaul kit. Make sure you order ring and pinion for proper axles as a 30 I believe has a smaller diff housing than a 44.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If you plan on doing it yourself...you might want to reconsider. Or at least heavily research what is needed (special tools) and the process of setting the gears up. This is NOT just a "pull the old part out and put in the new part". Not to sound like a dick, but the question about what is needed suggests this is unfamiliar territory. To answer your question directly, you need gears and a master overhaul kit.

If you are gonna pay someone ( a shop) to do the work, it is usually strongly suggested to let them order everything. Most shops will NOT have any sort of warranty on customer supplied gears. They will likely provide something of a warranty for parts supplied and installed by them.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
The parts you linked to are not for your Jeep.

The basics that you need are the ring and pinion gears for both the front and the rear (yes, you have to do both or you will only have a 2 wheel drive Jeep), and a master overhaul kit for both the front and the rear.

That said, I think it's time for the rest of the discussion. If you are thinking about lockers, do them at the same time and save yourself about $800 in labor versus doing them separately. What size tires are you going with? This will dictate what gear ratio you need to go with. It may also require some other upgrades if you are going big.

Last, this is not a job for someone that doesn't know what they are doing. Setting up gears in a differential is not a simple task. Depending on where you live, you may have to do some searching to even find anyone willing to do it.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Ring and pinion sets for d30 and d44, master install kits, for each. If you haven't purchased a programmer of some sort you will need that as well.

Vendors like Northridge sell the setups, you just need to know what you are buying.

However, I'd just let the shop order everything, saves you if you need additional work done. That way they can't blame the parts.

All that being said...I did my own, with no experience. Not for the faint of heart. Lots of tools you will need, some home made, and significant expense if you don't have access to them. You mentioned a shop. I would recommend that for about 95% of the people regearing.

I really didn't save that much after all the tools, and additional seals and crush sleeves, and trips to the dealer for parts, and....well, you get it. I guess the good news is that if I ever do it again, I'll have the knowledge and the stuff to do it.

It really isn't that hard, just have to be meticulous and very patient.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If I can suggest one part that no one told me to replace that I ended up replacing after the fact, wheel bearings and seals. They aren't very expensive and there's a chance they get damaged with pulling axles and reinstalling them.

Other than that, what everyone else says. Master overhaul kit and ring and pinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
I perform all the work on my Jeeps, from lift kits, to clutch changes, to whatever, except for setup up diffs.

In the Houston area, you can walk into 4Wheel Parts and have them installed for about $1,300 with a warranty (or you could a couple of years ago).

It is a chunk of change but I see it as one of those "it is what it is" mods. If you don't get it shimmed and the backlash set just right, it will get you in the end...someday.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
If I can suggest one part that no one told me to replace that I ended up replacing after the fact, wheel bearings and seals. They aren't very expensive and there's a chance they get damaged with pulling axles and reinstalling them.

Other than that, what everyone else says. Master overhaul kit and ring and pinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, good insurance. I replaced every seal and bearing in both axles(except rear axle seals, but took care of that two months later when I snapped an axle and replaced both of them....lol.)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, thanks.

- Ring & Pinion kit
- Master overhaul kit
- Wheel bearings and seals
- All the above for both axles.

That's exactly what I was looking to learn.

--

Any POV on ring & pinion manufacturers to avoid?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I perform all the work on my Jeeps, from lift kits, to clutch changes, to whatever, except for setup up diffs.

In the Houston area, you can walk into 4Wheel Parts and have them installed for about $1,300 with a warranty (or you could a couple of years ago).

It is a chunk of change but I see it as one of those "it is what it is" mods. If you don't get it shimmed and the backlash set just right, it will get you in the end...someday.
I am about to have this done (3.73 to 4.56). I live in Katy. Best price from a reputable shop in the area I found is $1600. I will definitely give 4wheelparts a call and get a current quote.

Are you familiar with their quality of work? What is their reputation for service?

Thanks for your input.

Steve
Katy, TX

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am about to have this done (3.73 to 4.56). I live in Katy. Best price from a reputable shop in the area I found is $1600. I will definitely give 4wheelparts a call and get a current quote.

Are you familiar with their quality of work? What is their reputation for service?

Thanks for your input.

Steve
Katy, TX
I didn't expect it but I have had pretty darn good luck with them and so have a couple of buddies. On some things, they are priced well and other thing they are too expensive.

I am in Katy too and use a local shop for pretty much everything I can't or won't take on. It is called Katy Certified Auto Repair run by a redbeard named Travis. He backs all parts and labor with a 2 year warranty and I have had to cash in on that. I almost had a full set of gears and bearings wheel to wheel installed there and was quoted around $1,400 but that was years ago.

1035 Greenbusch Rd, Katy, TX 77494

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just did this yesterday. 3.21 to 4.56 in a manual trans. $1650 out the door.

Yukon gears and master install kit
New front carrier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did this yesterday. 3.21 to 4.56 in a manual trans. $1650 out the door.

Yukon gears and master install kit
New front carrier.

I am just contemplating doing this... Can you tell me how it drives now? I only have 33" tires but it is fricking dogging it on the highway, revs are so slow!
Love to hear the diff it made to you!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would add rear chrome moly axel shafts to your parts list, since with the locker and gears the next thing that happens is bent axel flanges.

I would also recommend either really learning how to install gears yourself which to me is harder than an engine swap, or checking with local installers ,as very few will put in gears that they did not sell you, way to many liablities for the shop... so you don't order the parts online and then realize nobody wants to install them for you. Make sure to know what carrier to order which might change due to which locker/gears you chose to go with on that dana 30 especially. good luck I don't do gears myself everything else I*DIY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts