Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Re-gearing question

970 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  jlang 
#1 ·
Hello all, so I recently lifted the 17' 2dr with a 4" lift and 35's, does everyone recommend 4.10's or 4.56's for the gear ratio, and also which brand gears do you like or does it matter! Thanks!

#2 ·
4 inches is pretty high for a 2 door. Are you planning to go bigger then 35's? If so I would do 4.88's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Yes 4" is pretty high for a 2dr. 35s 4.88s for sure. At 4 inches of lift, you have added a lot more drag at speed. Also, I hope you did a DL flip or a Yeti top mount DL.

I sell Revolution gears and have great package deals on them. @Cummins_Powered is correct though. If you are not installing the gears yourself, have the sop provide them. No issues blaming someone else if there is a failure.

Namaste,

Allen

#6 ·
I think 4.56 might be the sweet spot for 35's. 4.88's if you are going to tow or live in higher elevation. Don't waste $$ on 4.10.

As above 4" is pretty high on a 2dr for 35's. We have a bunch of members running 37's on a 2.5 with their 2drs...

Reactions: AOR
#9 ·
4.88 here with 35s. Rocket turns a lot of rpms at highway speed, but I love this ratio otherwise. It's perfect for off-road and around town.

#13 ·
The shop that installed my gears (he does a lot of re-gears) said Yukon is the very best in terms of honoring warranty issues, so I went with Yukon for peace of mind.

#14 ·
For what it's worth, I have the 3.6 auto JKU with 315's (Duratracs). I went with the 4.56 and I'm glad i did. I do a lot of highway driving up and down Michigan's lower peninsula. The "eco" light is on to about 2900 RPM and it feels right, even in the "hilly" part of drive. I went from a 3.21 and my milage went up from about 13 to 15 when I put the 4.56 in. I like to drive faster, so I average about 75 on the hwy. Anything above 80 and I start to feel unstable.

#16 ·
3.6 Manual 2 door 3" lift here...

I did this a few months ago. For a daily driver with light trail use I went with 4.56 on 35's at shops recommendations. The JK drives like a new toy. It winds through 1st and 2nd pretty quick now and 6 gear is functional again. The RPMs are up around 2700 at hwy speeds and I have no idea what my gas mileage is (it sits in the garage most of the week). I imagine 4.88 wont be that much different but I live near sea level in flat Texas. I don't tow either so my gear choice seems ideal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.