Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so i i just purchased a nice set of 33 inch tall tires and installed them. so my problem is the gas mileage. I am still a Senior in high school and i dont have a big build budget. so i was wondering, since i ordered parts for my rear, can i just re gear my rear end first without having to disconnect the front driveshaft. I quickly took off the front yoke connection and it seems to be free spinning inside the transfer case. so theoretically, as long as i drive around in 2wd i wont blow up my transfer case. i am going from a 3.07 to a 4.56. it would be great if i could do this because i am on a tight budget.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Yes, you can just regear just the back as long as you keep it in 2wd. It might be a good idea to pull the front drive shaft until you regear the front just in case someone else decides to play with your 4wd shifter.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
exact what do you mean you took off the front yoke? What yoke and why did you take it off?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
exact what do you mean you took off the front yoke? What yoke and why did you take it off?
i disconnected the front drive shaft only at the axle to see if it would spin freely in the transfer case. it does so i assume that i could just regear the rear for now since i dont have enough money to do both. and im not worried about someone bumping it because im the only one who drives it. but if i have some free time i might as well pull it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
i disconnected the front drive shaft only at the axle to see if it would spin freely in the transfer case. it does so i assume that i could just regear the rear for now since i dont have enough money to do both. and im not worried about someone bumping it because im the only one who drives it. but if i have some free time i might as well pull it.
imo I would pull the shaft to be on the safe side. Its only 8 small bolts. I drove around with 4.88 gearing in the front and 3.73 for a couple weeks until I was able to regear the rear. There is nothing wrong with driving with no DS.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
With no one else driving it who could possibly shift into 4x4, I wouldn't worry at all about leaving the front driveshaft installed and driving "forever" like that. Regear the front when you can.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Are you re gearing it by yourself or having it done. If your doing it have you ever done one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you re gearing it by yourself or having it done. If your doing it have you ever done one.
I am an Automotive Technition. I have never done one before but there is always a first. i have disassembled and reassembled D35 carriers but never messed with gears. My co-workers are very very knowledgeable and have done this work before. They said they would help me with it too. I am honestly not worried about installing the ring and pinion, i just wanted to know if i could do one axle at a time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am an Automotive Technition. I have never done one before but there is always a first. i have disassembled and reassembled D35 carriers but never messed with gears. My co-workers are very very knowledgeable and have done this work before. They said they would help me with it too. I am honestly not worried about installing the ring and pinion, i just wanted to know if i could do one axle at a time.

None of these very very knowledgeable co-workers could tell you if you could do one axle at a time? :doh2:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
None of these very very knowledgeable co-workers could tell you if you could do one axle at a time? :doh2:
I never asked them this question. I figured I'd ask here first.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Remember that gears are a totally different ballgame than anything else in a vehicle. Close enough is not good enough and the tools to do it properly are very expensive. There is a lot of good information on this site and that is how I regeared mine a year or so ago.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, im not ganna do a crappy job. my coworker agreed to help me and come into the shop on the weekend and do it. He has done numerous rear ends and has all the right tools. Im not just some 18 year old slapping together a crappy TJ. My Jeep is mint and i want to do it right the first time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts