Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got manual windows but do not like the position of the handle? Then re-index it.

I just picked up my new '15 JK last night. I already noticed the position of the window handle did not quite work for me. My knee cap resting against door hit right on the knob end of the handle. Rather uncomfortable. Thought I would try to spin it around a little bit.

I have had this tool in the toolbox for years. It is used to remove the window handle clip. You could easily use a very small screwdriver or pick.
Window Handle Clip Tool.jpg

Step 1, Remove Handle
Position the tool behind the handle to grab the ears of the clip. Give a firm pull to remove the clip and the handle will slide right off.
Tool position for Removal.jpg

Tool Position Sketch.jpg

Step 2. Install handle
Once all the pieces are off, you should have these parts:
Disassembled Parts.jpg

Re-install the clip on the backside of handle.
Clip Reinstalled.jpg

The tip of the spline on the window regulator is tapered. That means you can install the clip before installing the handle. Place the large plastic trim ring over the handle hub. Line up the handle on the splined shaft and give it a firm push. You should hear an audible click when it seats.

continued....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Line up the handle in whatever position you want.
Reinstall Handle.jpg

Before:
Original Position WIndow Up.jpg

After:
New Position WIndow Up.jpg

The knob is now a good 5-6 inches further away from my knee.

Just repeat for other side.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm getting half doors so for me this will not be an issue, but I did test drive one with crank windows and I also noticed how the window crank knob sticks out right where your knee is. Seems like something that could have been engineered a lot better...something as simple as changing the rotational position like you have done, or maybe even moving it up a few inches on the door panel so it doesn't strike the average driver directly on the knee.

I just have to wonder if any of the engineers actually sat in a jeep before they finalized the design

I had pretty much decided I wanted the half doors already, but that annoying knob just reinforced my decision.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you have your handle back past the top sometimes the weight of the handle will open the window slightly. I always put mine facing down. That might be why they put it where they do. It seems to be fairly universal to put it where the human knee goes no matter the company.
Nice write up I am sure it will help others with this problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What a great idea! I was about to put it on the list for my JK due in mid-May. Then I had a thought - I'm getting half doors! No window cranks! Good tip anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts