Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday I started my first RE LA on a two door JK. It ended up on Toyo 37's with 513's. It went out on Thursday after we tweeked a few things and as Jambo it next week I will get to see it in action. Thursday afternoon I started in on RE LA on a two door JK #2. This on will be on 35's and I am imagining 488's but havn't seen the boxes yet. I will get to see it on the trail in the Jambo as well as it is owned by the first ones sister.

Fron a functional standpoint they are completely different then the TJ or anything else I have worked on. Lots of drilling, less welding although I decided on welding the front sway-bar tabs as drilling in the passenger side stock tab was all but imposible and I was too lazy to go get the plasma:D .

For those who are going to insall this themselves, a couple of notes from my expirience. The passenger side bump stop will com into contact with the bolt form the track bar, we shortened the bolt head with a lathe and moved the bump stop forward and welded it in place. If you are gonna run 37's on a 4.5 kit you will need to clearance the rockers (we did 2") and we also cut a triangle out of the pinch weld on both leading edges of the rear fender wells. I am gonna finish #2 tomorrow so we will see if I find any more issues to share.

Hope this helps.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
So Rock, the RE long arms aren't long enough to have a 37 clear the rockers in the wheel wells?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Rock, the RE long arms aren't long enough to have a 37 clear the rockers in the wheel wells?
They clear by a little but we felt that clearancing the tub and the rail was a good idea after we flexed it with the fork lift. was real tight. We had an RE engineer in shop to check out what we found as well....rails, tub and rear TB issues. The arms actually came pretty close to the tires, but they were 14.5 wide so most folks shouldn't have any issues and the lower moves with the tire so it won't rub.

Interesting how they have integrated the uppers into the lowers like the front. But drilling all the holes for the rear lower frame mount was lotsa fun. Eleven holes per side and multiple passes with each hole. Nice though because they have eliminated two out of six weld in sleeves from the TJ kit. Other thing I don't like is the rear track bar set up as it is just a drop down bracket that reuses the stock TB. Just my opinion though.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I agree with you on the rear trac bar. Joe has been fixing many of those in his shop with lifts that don't strengthen and replace it.

Yeah any of the arms are going to come real close to the tires. Just notice how close they are in the stock form with the stock rims/tires on it.

I'm not real big on radius arms in the front from their old setup. Or Nth or anyone else that uses them. My old setup had full radius arms and I still removed the pass. upper so it wouldn't bind up.

I remember drilling all those holes for RE lifts. HUGE pain the ass. :D I feel for ya. :D

I hear rumor in Moab this year RE broke both of their JK's LA's at the very beginning of the week and they packed up and went home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts