Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, got this hardtop shown, that needs repainting. Your

ForumRunner_20150323_210511.jpg

thoughts, methods, etc to repaint fiberglass top shown here? BTW, just noticed in pic it shows up tan...its flat black lol!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I meant cloth convertible tops, never heard of a hard top being dyed? I too am interested if I can do this as a DIY project in order to save money. Prep and paint instructions would be appreciated, I doubt I would be able to find a close color match to my Khaki hard top in a spray can.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I meant cloth convertible tops, never heard of a hard top being dyed? I too am interested if I can do this as a DIY project in order to save money. Prep and paint instructions would be appreciated, I doubt I would be able to find a close color match to my Khaki hard top in a spray can.
I think he is referring to something like SEM, which technically is a dye usually. There's really no different with how you prep it and how it goes on than spray paint. Just consider it the same thing really.

Do a search on these forums for painting hard tops. This information has already been covered. The main four methods of DIY is using Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric, Krylon Fusion, SEM, and bedliner. The concept for all of them is simple...prep well, mask well, paint...and TAKE YOUR TIME with all of that.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Will it match existing paint? How do I know exactly what was used in first place?
That top did not initially match the existing paint. It looks like the standard black top and your Jeep just happens to be black. That does not mean they matched. If you want it to match, you can look into Duplicolor having the same exact color as your Jeep's paint, or got to a pro paint shop to have some mixed...or take it to a shop for the complete job.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That looks like a dark khaki top and your Jeep is black, they never matched. IMO if you're going to paint, you might as well do something that's not a stock color for a top. Just for fun.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would go to the body shop. Will last longer I think. the PO did that to my jeep with clear coat. Just take a look at my build thread for pics.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
my local body shop painted my hardtop for to match the Camel interior (cost was $300).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts