Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much consideration, I bought and installed a Warn Zeon 10-s winch. GoWarn offered the standard price on the winch, free shipping, and a free $130 wireless remote. I liked it all and bought it.

However, my other choice was the Quadratec Q10000C (Competition). It weighs 55 lbs, has 10,000 lb pull, draws 300 A @ 8000 lbs, has 50' of synthetic rope, all for $600.

It's not that I think the Q10000 is a better winch, but I do believe it is a reliable winch. Some perspective: I could have bought two Q10000C's for the price I paid for my Zeon 10-s. Now I'm not sure what the significance is here, other than the obvious cost factor.

Another asset of the Q10000C is it's a bit more compact, and it draws about 17% less current at 8000 lbs. That is not necessarily significant, but something.

For many, the 50' line would be a problem. I thought that too, but on re-thinking, it likely would not be for me, i.e. me specifically. I don't plan to do hard core off-roading so it's doubtful that I would ever need to winch more than 10-20 feet much less likely need to winch 50'.

Of course it is likely that I would need to reach an anchor further than 50' feet away, but that could be done with a second cable. The second cable only becomes an issue if you have to winch further than the length of your winch cable and even then there are techniques to 'capture' progress and reset. Also there's that winch distance again, it is highly unlikely I would ever have to winch more than 50 feet to clear problem.

All that being said, if you find yourself selecting a winch and your applications are similar to mine, I would really have to think hard about going for the twice as expensive Warn winch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy and satisfied with the Zeon but at the same time, it may have been an 'over buy' - for me.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
50 foot is not far at all, and you will lose part of that by leaving the last wraps on the drum. Just make sure to always have another cable, strap etc

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
"However, my other choice was the Quadratec Q10000C (Competition). It weighs 55 lbs, has 10,000 lb pull, draws 300 A @ 8000 lbs, has 50' of synthetic rope, all for $600."

I have also been considering the Quadratec Q10000C winch, mainly for the weight. With a spare 50' cable and a few more straps I think all would be good.........

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
50 foot is not far at all, and you will lose part of that by leaving the last wraps on the drum. Just make sure to always have another cable, strap etc
True, it isn't very far and you do lose about a little over 8 feet with the recommended 10 wrap minimum for syn line.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"However, my other choice was the Quadratec Q10000C (Competition). It weighs 55 lbs, has 10,000 lb pull, draws 300 A @ 8000 lbs, has 50' of synthetic rope, all for $600."

I have also been considering the Quadratec Q10000C winch, mainly for the weight. With a spare 50' cable and a few more straps I think all would be good.........
The weight is attractive but a bit deceiving at the same time. Winches are roughly in the 75-80 lb range, which means they are approximately 37% heavier than the Q10000. While that is a huge difference, when the winches are mounted on a 4400 lb Jeep, the weight difference becomes insignificant.

E.g. the percent difference in the Q10000 and my Zeon 10 when mounted on the Jeep is only 0.45% (half of 1%).

But I still think the Q10000C is a good choice - after all it is $600 less expensive.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Tangle, weight is my prime consideration when purchasing products for the Jeep. A 55# bumper with a 55# winch is acceptable weight IMO.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
If you hadn't bought a winch yet, might make sense to re-consider. Since you already have the winch and remote installed, not really much point to change your mind. Nothing bad about having the more expensive winch after the fact. You have a winch that will probably be more reliable than the QT.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Quadratec states the weight is with a 100 foot steel cable too. The amp draw is appealing too. Even if you buy a new longer cable or just a recovery strap for when you need the length, you're way under the price of a Warn, so much so you could almost afford to buy a second one. If the Warn had a superior warranty it might be worth it but it doesn't. Personally, I have a hard time justifying the Warn over the Qtech winches, especially for occasional use.

As far as weight, it might not seem like much but it adds up. A few pounds here and a few pounds there become a lot of pounds before you know it. Not to mention, you're putting that weight about as far from the fulcrum as possible meaning it acts like it weighs even more.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you hadn't bought a winch yet, might make sense to re-consider. Since you already have the winch and remote installed, not really much point to change your mind. Nothing bad about having the more expensive winch after the fact. You have a winch that will probably be more reliable than the QT.
Oh, I agree. I don't regret my purchase, I think I've got a great winch. But, it's probably more than any of my applications would need. But as you say, nothing bad about that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quadratec states the weight is with a 100 foot steel cable too.
You must be referring to one of the other Q winches. The Q10000C is listed with a 50' synthetic cable.

...As far as weight, it might not seem like much but it adds up. A few pounds here and a few pounds there become a lot of pounds before you know it. Not to mention, you're putting that weight about as far from the fulcrum as possible meaning it acts like it weighs even more.
The package weight is what the Jeep or winch has to pull. So the difference in weight of the Jeep plus a 55 lb winch vs the weight of the Jeep and a 75# winch is 0.44% - less than one half of one percent.

As for placement, the front axle centerline is the fulcrum point and the winch is about as close to that as it can get. Plus, the placement of the winch does not influence weight, it just redistributes it slightly. If you put the Jeep on a platform scale and then lay the winch anywhere on the platform or if you mount it to the front or rear of the Jeep, everything will weigh the same.

What the location does do is change the weight distribution very slightly between the front and rear wheels.

·
Super Moderator
21,993 Posts
I know if I was stuck in the middle of no where and it was a matter of life or death for one of my family members or friends, I know which winch I would rather be depending on.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You must be referring to one of the other Q winches. The Q10000C is listed with a 50' synthetic cable.
It's in the description. I guess for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know if I was stuck in the middle of no where and it was a matter of life or death for one of my family members or friends, I know which winch I would rather be depending on.
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, it wouldn't make a bit of - wait, in the middle of nowhere you said??? - ..... still it wouldn't matter what the.......uhhh, did you say life or death???......why would it.......hmmm.....middle of nowhere...life or death....I'm glad I have my Zeon!

I'm just kidding guys. Honestly, I can't find any data that shows that one winch is more reliable than the other. That leaves us with personal experience and observations which can not be disregarded, but the circumstances of failures can vary so much it's difficult to make comparisons. E.g. what if it was a case of operator error; what if the failure was caused by a weak battery, etc.

It's in the description. I guess for comparison purposes.
Where did you see that? Here's the Qtech page for the Q10000C winch - notice the "C" at the end of the model number:

This is the 'C' winch ("C" for competition):
Quadratec Exclusive 92122 2050 - Quadratec Q10000c Competition Winch with Synthetic Line - Quadratec

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Warns probably way better.

I have a quadratec q9000. I havent gotten to use it yet, i broke my leg shortly after installing it, and havent wheeled since....

Its about 6 months old, has a little minor rust, the logos are fading on it. It needs to have a cover.

Seems to me they put a good winch together with just cheap finishing touches on it.....

You can get extension ropes for your winch. You shouldnt be winching yourself 100 feet anyhow. What in the hell are you doing to get that stuck? You really only need that kind of length to get hooked up to a tree...an extension would be great

No one will steal your quadratec winch though!!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Where did you see that? Here's the Qtech page for the Q10000C winch - notice the "C" at the end of the model number:

This is the 'C' winch ("C" for competition):
Quadratec Exclusive 92122 2050 - Quadratec Q10000c Competition Winch with Synthetic Line - Quadratec
Our Competition winch is about half the weight of comparably rated winches with 100’ of steel cable.
About 5 lines down. Now that I reread that, I think they're saying it's less than half the weight of another winch with 100' of steel cable. It's a bit confusing. Why compare your winch with 50' of synthetic line to other winches with 100' of steel? To confuse people.

·
Super Moderator
21,993 Posts
About 5 lines down. Now that I reread that, I think they're saying it's less than half the weight of another winch with 100' of steel cable. It's a bit confusing. Why compare your winch with 50' of synthetic line to other winches with 100' of steel? To confuse people.
must work lol.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Yeah, marketing to the weak-minded.

OP- stick with the winch you have. The Zeon is a great winch. I like the fact that it is also sealed really well.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Here's another vote for something other than Warn. I was showing my buddy my winch install (Champion on a Rugged Ridge stock bumper mount). He doesn't live in the best part of town. His comment was "Good thing it isn't a Warn, that way it isn't certain to get jacked". One advantage of using a cheap winch.

·
Registered
692 Posts
For four wheelers, winches are usually a last resort tool to get unstuck. Would you buy an off-brand parachute?
I've never seen a tow truck with a Quadratec winch, or seen its use in any other professional application. I see WARN used by pro's all the time.

No offense to Quadratec owners, but you should have no regrets. If you're going to use your winch as more than window dressing on the front of your jeep, you made the best choice..

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
For four wheelers, winches are usually a last resort tool to get unstuck. Would you buy an off-brand parachute?
I've never seen a tow truck with a Qtech winch, or seen its use in any other professional application. I see WARN used by pro's all the time.

No offense to qtech owners, but you should have no regrets, you made the best choice..
This is the most intelligent post in this thread.

I enjoy how people who sacrifice quality for cost always have to justify it. In this case the OP made the right choice and is having a bit of buyers remorse. OP there is nothing better about the QT winch than the Zeon you have. NOTHING.

I have wheeled my entire life. I have seen every manufacturer of winch fail. Some due to lack of maintenance, some due to overload and plenty because they are crap. I wouldn't put a QT winch on Jeep, trailer or ATV.

OP you made the right choice.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts