Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Reading Engine Oil Dipstick Level 3.6L

2179 34
The images below are of the engine oil level on the dipstick after cooling down for several hours. The dipstick enters the sump at an angle, so one side is showing the level at full while the other shows the level between full and minimum. I purposely reduced the amount of oil I filled with this time, but I have usually filled it so that both sides show up at least at the full level on the dipstick. I had been wondering if this actually resulted in me overfilling it this entire time, because I typically notice more oil than I would like to see passing through the PCV system and into the intake. I have read in multiple places that overfilling the 3.6L can lead to it blowing oil into the intake. What is the proper way to read the dipstick when both sides don't show the same level?
Asphalt Road surface Grey Beige Wood
Office supplies Wood Asphalt Grille Metal
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
19,489 Posts
Do the math the dipstick front reading side to back reading side is less than 1/4”
Now multiply that by sin of a generous 30 degree overestimate from how far you are off vertical and your concern that that angle makes a difference falls apart

or if you still have doubts take a pan of liquid (even dirty oil) and submerge dipstick tip at your estimated angle and compare level on sides once removed

· Registered
19,489 Posts
I did the math. Sine is not used for this problem, and the angle of the dipstick measures 40 degrees from vertical. The relevant parameters are the angle of the dipstick = 40 degrees, the thickness of the dipstick = .115", the area of the upper oil pan = approximately 16" length X 9" width, tangent and cosine of the dipstick angle. The pan is not exactly rectangular, but this is a pretty good approximation.

At a 40 degree angle with a .115" thick dipstick, there will be a difference of .096" on the dipstick between the upper and lower side level. This would result in an oil level height difference of .074" in the 16" X 9" pan, which equals an oil volume difference of 10.7 cubic inches or .19 quarts. This is hardly a trivial volume of oil, and certainly could be enough extra to cause oil to be blown through the PCV system after an oil change.

The question still stands as to what side of the dipstick reads the correct level, but our best assumption may be that the manufacturer intends for the reading to be taken off the side with the crosshatching. The side with the crosshatching always points downward due to how the dipstick is inserted into the tube, so filling until the side without the crosshatching is at the maximum level would result in overfilling by .19 quarts as I showed. This could result in oil being blown into the intake manifold which is a common complaint.
View attachment 4570308

View attachment 4570309
So you calculate that one side is less than 1/10 of an inch different than other side
Compare to original
Dipstick pictures and like I said that was NOT the cause for the difference in levels on the two sides he pictures no matter how hard you manipulate it
The angle of the dipstick makes no significant (less than .1” difference on two sides and to get that small difference you assumed the dip stick was rotated to exact position to place the two sides on highest an lowest side of slope when probability is against that specific rotation

again a insignificant problem with a falsely proposed etiology
No matter how much you wish it could explain the op pictures

· Registered
19,489 Posts
Rotate dipstick 90 degrees on long axis should zero out and difference

but. Ice to know you prefer the straighter Block entry of the dipstick tube on the minivan and journey 3.6 engine

plus they use a flat blade dipstick no cable and special added tip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts