Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally made the decision to get a lift. The size I decided on 3.25 inch over 2.5 for future purposes on my 2015 JKU. 3.25 is the highest I can go to fit in my garage. I will upgrade to 33s for a few years until I get my money saved up for a regearing, then I will upgrade to 35s. With 3.25 and 35s, my jeep would have 1.5 inches of space for my garage.

With the 3.25 lift, the only kind I have found online that are affordable under $600 is, 3.25 Rusty or 3.25 Rough Country. I have read mixed reviews on both. I have noticed the Rough Country lift is essentially a 2.5 lift with .75 spacers.

What do you prefer?

I plan on in the future, to add upgrades to the lift kit such as control arms etc.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Disclaimer: I don't have a lift, but have been shopping them for the future, which makes me far from an expert on the subject.
From what I've read the inches of the lift are not precise and different manufacturers take in account heavy accessories like bumpers, winches, etc. and some might not.
Just a warning, if you're measuring within an inch or so, you might not be leaving yourself enough room.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I got over 3 inch of lift out of the MC 2.5 Gamechanger on my JKR10A.

Granted, I do not have the heaviest bumpers out there (10A), and do not have a winch yet, but just factor those things into consideration when you are deciding on what kit to go with and what your expectations are.

·
Super Moderator
14,550 Posts
Those are low end kits and the Rough Country 3.25 may be one of the worst lift kits on the market for the JK. I strongly encourage you NOT to go there.

As above, the actual lift you get has many variables. I got a little more than 3" out of my RK 2.5. But I have a light weight rig with factory bumpers...

Take your time and don't rush in to something you will regret or will cost you more money to redo later on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Having just done the Metal Cloak lift, I can highly recommend it. I went 3.5", but they make a 2.5". Curious how you did your calculations? I've got what I consider to be a rather short garage myself (it's under my living room), but mine fits in there nicely even with the high lift jack sticking up an inch or two in the back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having just done the Metal Cloak lift, I can highly recommend it. I went 3.5", but they make a 2.5". Curious how you did your calculations? I've got what I consider to be a rather short garage myself (it's under my living room), but mine fits in there nicely even with the high lift jack sticking up an inch or two in the back.
I put the top on the Jeep, slowly pulled in and found the highest point of the Jeep and measured. I then drove in the garage faster to replicate regular pulling in and out daily with the effects of suspension. so I added another inch to it there. I would go to the 3.5 inch lift but my wife wants to be able to jump in it easier so the 3.25 is the highest I can go. And it would look goofy with 33s on it. 3.25 looks kind of goofy with 33s but less.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I belive most lifts raise more in the front than the back - so 2.5 may really be 3 in taller coil springs in the front and 2 taller in the back.
Also daystar make some 3/4 inch spacers for like $40 - could potentially add those to a 2.5 inch lift from another company.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16058_101.htm

·
Registered
701 Posts
I am looking for a lift under $600, so MetalCloak would be out of the picture

Dude......Please! You should really rethink that.

Like the eHarmony commercial says - "you want fast or forever?"

If your just looking to lift the body, which is the least favorable option I guess you can get it done for that, but if your looking for a spring lift then I would be somewhat remiss for not warning you about what $600 might get you. Or are you just wanting a spacer lift?

Go the Frankenlift route and piece meal something together where you get good basics for just a little bit more, and then build on that. Plenty of us here have done exactly that and are extremely happy.

With that being said if you haven't already, look at the sticky Beginners guide to lifting your Jeep thread and 1 other thread something like WF most popular lift.

You won't believe how helpful some are on those 2 threads.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I completely understand the money aspect of it. I suspect you're already aware of the "you get what you pay for" aspect of it too. If all you're wanting to do is just change the look of it and be able to fit some 35's under there, then yeah, you could do that pretty easy for under $600.

If you're actually wanting something to go wheeling with - then trust me - save your pennies and start dong some research. You don't want the budget lifts for true wheeling.

In my own case - I wanted to do it "right" from the get go. I rode stock for about 8 months till I had saved up enough to do it right the first time. I asked a lot of questions and did a lot of lurking around and reading. There's a huge difference in price, but there's also a huge difference in how it drives in an everyday situation and also how it performs out on the trail.

I hear ya man...most of us aren't independently wealthy so we have to scrimp and get the most bang for the buck we can. It all depends on your intended usage so do some thinking. I'm not gonna rip ya if all you're not planning on wheeling it much. A lot of guys aren't into that.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Do not get a spring lift for $600 bucks. If you're talking about the lift alone, not including shocks, drop brackets, etc., sure but not a "complete" lift and especially not a 3.5 inch lift.

My TF 2.5 with shocks, drop brackets, etc. cost $1200 and it's a basic but complete lift. You will regret going cheap.

If you want some lift and want to control the actual height while saving money, I suggest a spacer lift. You can get a 2.5 inch spacer lift and you'll get 2.5 inches, no more, no less. You can do that and probably get shocks for around $600. You probably won't need all the other stuff like drop brackets to fix caster. 33's will fit fine (33's will fit on a stock Jeep). Much better than dropping money on a cheap, incomplete lift that will cost you more in the long run.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I asked a local auto shop and they recommend Rough Country. They said installed, I can get a beginner kit for 700 at 3.25 inches. From there I can always upgrade the rest of it with new control arms etc.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I asked a local auto shop and they recommend Rough Country. They said installed, I can get a beginner kit for 700 at 3.25 inches. From there I can always upgrade the rest of it with new control arms etc.
Sure, you can. The kit will lift your Jeep but it's incomplete and it consists of budget components. Your ride and handling will suffer. You'll be looking around trying to guess what size bump stops you need to buy. If you add heavy accessories (winch, bumpers, sliders), you'll soon find those springs sag.

Of course, the guy at the shop that wants to make a sale will tell you that kit is good to go. It's not. Save up for a decent 2.5 inch lift or go with a spacer lift. Buy right, buy once.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm hoping that $700 includes installation... You can pick up that kit for around $450 online.

Never mind, seen that was the installed price. Also you'll probably need the exhaust spacer kit. I was gonna do this kit but instead I'm gonna go 2.5 for now. I wanna run 35s and figure how much of a difference does 1 in really make anyway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am in the same boat. About to pull trigger on a lift but only around $500 to spend. I am not considering the RC tho. This I my game plan: RE coil kit
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_6010_07.htm

That's $380 I already picked up shock extensions of craigslist for a few bucks -$15 Rancho control arm brackets for about $100 I will pick up shocks and front track bar next go around. (Ranchos)
So this is around the $500 price range and while not "complete" it should be quality and easily upgradable as money and parts come in. Figure you can add spacers if not enough lift for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts