Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys found an 05 sport loved the Jeep test drove and checked everything checked out good so I put $100 deposit on it and was going to pick it up either Monday or Tuesday I've been looking for 6-8 months now and passed on a few so I was excited that I found my Jeep then I come back home jump on the computer and read about the opda issues the 05-06 have I check the Vin # and it has the s 8 digits over im not sure about the build date but from what I'm reading its pretty much all 05-06 prone to Having this problem at some point. Now I don't know what to do :banghead:. I'm about ready to give up on this whole Jeep thing and just keep my beater I have now. Any opinions on my issue. I have read the Jeep forum on the issue and just don't know if I should still buy it or stay far far away. Any opinions or thoughts would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
well if its the vin of one of the ones that had the recall they will fix it for free.. i know my buddys 05 willys had the problem but it wasnt covered under the recall, he changed it out himself and the jeep is running great, his happened after like 26k miles

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's not a fatal problem. Jeep recalled all the 2003's and put a heat shield over part of the exhaust manifold. Dead leaves could accumulate there and start on fire and burn the Jeep to the ground (!). But they fixed that, and they also replaced all the leaky axle seals on the 2003 D44 front axles. They'll fix the opda issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As anybody bought one recently and not worried about this? Should i bring this up to the dealer today? I do Like the Darn thing a lot figures it would be the one with the problems Apparently i pick jeep like i do women :D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I would not let the OPDA stop me as amatter of fact I didn't . I bought an 05 a few months ago. I have replaced mine with one modded by a fellow with a username Stripperguy on Jeep Forum . If you read the OPDA thread over there you will feel much better about your find . It also sounds like Dorman auto parts has a changed version also they just don't refer to it as an OPDA . Its all in the thread there . Sorry to send a member to another forum but thats where I found my answer.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,623 Posts
PERSONALLY, I would not buy an 05/06 since there are plenty of excellent quality 97-04 TJs around... but that's just me. I'd rather not have to worry about if mine was going to be affected by that problem. If I were to even have to buy a third TJ, I'd go for a 2002 or older since they have simpler/more reliable smog systems and they also can be found with the bulletproof 32RH automatic transmission that went away in 2003.

In the 2.5 years since buying it, my '04 has had more hard to diagnose problems than I ever did with my '97 TJ in the 14 years I owned it before it was stolen.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My current is an 06 TJ...I havent had any problems out of it other then ones i caused. No OPDA problem or anything like that. I will have to say i miss the 5 speed....the 6 speed can be rather annoying at times. Its at 94,000 miles right now. Couple buddies have a 05 and 06 rubicons...both of them are in the 52-58k mile mark. No OPDA problems out of them either. I dont think its a major issue with them all .. just a select few. Course all you ever see posted is the ones that go bad...not the ones that dont go bad.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Buy what ever TJ you want . If it is an 05 or 6 just change the OPDA to a stripper guy modded one and dont worry about when or if your TJ may be effected and then you are done and you have about as new of a TJ as you can get if that matters to you . Its not the big deal some make it out to be or you would of seen it on TV, not just a few on a Jeep forums . There are a couple cures and they are cheap and easy to do then you are on to the next modd , so an 05 or6 needs one more cheap mod compared to ther years , big deal. 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do like the Jeep a lot and it even has the 3.73 gears and the rear Dana 44 axle in it just keep reading the bad stuff and its freaking me out. Do you have to be a knowledgeable mechanic to do install of mod that stripperguy has cause I'm by no means that? Or can somebody with a lil knowledge of vehicles do the swap? Also do I mod it myself or send it to him and he does it also if anybody has done this recently how long does it take to get it back?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts