Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm about to expose true ignorance. I'm just hoping for a little help so I can start learning or maybe get pointed in the right direction.

I know nothing about Jeeps, but I've sort of inherited one. I've always liked the look and style so I am excited. It's a 2006 Jeep Wrangler X.

Here's the thing. It has 33inch Firestone Destination A/T tires. (at least I think they are 33 inch) It clearly has a lift kit(?) of some sort on it for those big tires. Now I know Jeeps may not be the smoothest ride ever, but this thing rides rough. Really rough. Maybe that's just the way it is with big tires like this, but I'm hoping I can make modifications to it and make it more smooth. I would also like to keep the tires and the height, if at all possible. It feels ironic that I am now driving around in this big Jeep, but when I see a pot hole coming I'm almost thinking I hope this thing makes it through. I want to feel like I can hit anything.

Again, I get it. Bigger tires are going to have this effect. I'm just hoping there are tips, tricks or add-ons/modifications I can get to make this thing ride a little more like a dream. I would hate to give a passenger whiplash because we hit a pot hole their Taurus wouldn't have even noticed.

Any help at all would be great! And again, I apologize for my ignorance here.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Check the air in the tires first, most places fill them to the max on the tire which will cause a hard ride. Every time I get my free rotation, lifetime at Costco, they add too much air. I have 30x9.5's and found 26psi is the best.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
You could check the shocks too. if they are really old they could be stuck and not allowing the suspension to move

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Air pressure is a good start, but mine is stock and rides a bit rough, rougher than my 1-ton 4X4 pickup anyway :wavey:

·
Registered
89 Posts
If your road pot holes are like anything here in the Rust Belt (expansion/contraction w/ temp swings, etc.) - No matter how big your tires are, you really don't want to "hit anything" as you say. Have you experienced 'Bumpsteer' yet?

Kudos re: tire pressure & shock checking - I went with stock shocks until 99K miles, BAD move - hehe. Good luck & welcome!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
Yep, rough rides are only caused by either excessive air pressure and/or inappropriate shock absorbers. For 33" tires, you want 26-28 psi and no more than that. Most people and tire shops inflate the tires with too much air pressure because they incorrectly think the air pressure molded onto the tire's sidewall is what it should be filled to. Not true, the air pressure molded onto a tire's sidewall is only its MAXIMUM safe air pressure which is never the correct air pressure for any particular vehicle.

Try 26-28 psi and if that doesn't fix the rough ride, it's time to install better riding shock absorbers. There are plenty shock absorbers that ride too stiffly (like Rancho R5000, ProComp ES-3000, Skyjacker Nitro, etc.) so come back to ask about recommendations before buying replacement shocks. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. Here are some pics of what I am working with. Like I said, I have no idea what kind of shocks or anything I'm running. I'm trying to start learning, but i'm working from the ground up on this one. Both exciting and frustrating.

Anyway, here are some pics...
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - jeep01.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - jeep02h.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - jeep07.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - jeep06.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - jeep04.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - jeep03.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
i like the BDS shocks i have on mine. i just replaced all 4 corners and i can tell a big difference but in the end its still gonna ride like a jeep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can certainly live with it riding like a jeep. I just want to get educated on it, and start knowing things. I would hate to wait 5 years and then find out something could have made a huge difference and I just assumed it was riding like a jeep. You know? I'll look into the BDS Shocks. I may have to take it in just to get some of my parts identified unless we can figure it out.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Did you check the air in the tires????? And I'm betting it's a skyjacker lift....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts