Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moving to a place where I can't have any tire sticking out from the fenders. Currently my tires are sticking out 4" from my cut fenders.

On the rear, I would need flares that stick 7" from the body.
On the front, measured from the top of the tire, I need 12" from the body.

Any recommendations? Preferably a flat fender look to keep my tire clearance. Plastic is fine with me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
In the market to buy some fenders myself. Ive done a lot of research and debating between The Poison Spyder Narrow Width (6inch wide) or the Standard width (9inch wide, pretty much size of stock). I know they sell an extra wide width which I believe they are 1-2 inches wider than the Standard aka stock size.

Have not seen much out there for wider flares. Poison Spyders can be pricey. But I've heard and read they are well worth it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Check out Metalcloak. One if theirs has add on or removable extensions available in different width.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
The widest I've seen. https://www.quadratec.com/products/12506_501.htm

You may consider going with a wheel with less backspacing as well, or narrower tires if you are running 13" tires...

There's also a trim package that gives the flares a wider edge, one guy mentioned it before he used this to get the legal width - it's about a half to 3/4" gain on width.

https://www.amazon.com/RBP-RBP-791483-Textured-Complete-Unlimited/dp/B00XVRDTCK/ref=sr_1_42?keywords=jeep+wrangler+flare+edge&qid=1575948500&sr=8-42

There are Bushwacker knockoffs, but from what I've heard over the years the plastic they use is more brittle and fades fast. YMMV if you try that.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife is getting stationed to Naples, Italy and I'm bringing the Jeep with me. It's a little big for Europe, but there's a 4x4 club there and they said it won't be a problem as long as I don't try to explore the tiny alleys in downtown.

Since the Jeep will become my daily driver again, I'm going back to 35" duratracs. I liked my last set. I'm going to try Method MR701 wheels, which are 4.75 back spacing and zero offset. My ATX's are 4" with a negative offset so they stick out too far. I used to have AEV Saltas, but their 5.2" was too tucked and it rubbed a lot.

I scored a set of OEM fenders, liners, and supports off FB marketplace for cheap so I'll put my cut fenders and 37's into storage for when I return to the US in 3 years and JK becomes a trail rig again.

I don't think they strictly enforce the tires if they stick out a little bit, but what I have right now is just too ridiculous for Europe. It's going to stick out like a sore thumb just on 35's and stock fenders compared to the tiny Fiats most folks drive over there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just looked at the Metalcloak site and while the "wide" version claims to be 10'' wide it looks to only be 10'' wide in one spot. I'll call it the rear upper part before in turns down to the footwell.. At the very front it's no where near 10'' by the pic.. So depending on how they inspect/measure in your town you may or may not be ok with these...

The Rampage Flares from Lund International claim to be 11'' wide and looks to be full width in the front, across the top, and narrows some as it goes down to the footwell...

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
My wife is getting stationed to Naples, Italy and I'm bringing the Jeep with me. It's a little big for Europe, but there's a 4x4 club there and they said it won't be a problem as long as I don't try to explore the tiny alleys in downtown.

Since the Jeep will become my daily driver again, I'm going back to 35" duratracs. I liked my last set. I'm going to try Method MR701 wheels, which are 4.75 back spacing and zero offset. My ATX's are 4" with a negative offset so they stick out too far. I used to have AEV Saltas, but their 5.2" was too tucked and it rubbed a lot.

I scored a set of OEM fenders, liners, and supports off FB marketplace for cheap so I'll put my cut fenders and 37's into storage for when I return to the US in 3 years and JK becomes a trail rig again.

I don't think they strictly enforce the tires if they stick out a little bit, but what I have right now is just too ridiculous for Europe. It's going to stick out like a sore thumb just on 35's and stock fenders compared to the tiny Fiats most folks drive over there.

Interesting your AEV had rubbed, was that at flex or?

I may be built a lot different, I'm now running the Qtec branded wheels that tuck under like the AEV, and I haven't rubbed yet - that I know of at least.

This does bring up another idea, tucking the tires in with new wheels, and then using bigger flares too.. That'll cover them up for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts