Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before but I'm still unsure with the wiring diagrams I've found. I am looking for a more specific diagram if possible. I have a 2015 JK unlimited and am installing a rear Rampage bumper and adding 2-55 watt halogen lights in the aux light hikes it has in it. I would like it to work as follows.
When I put it in reverse the aux lights will come on, but i would like to have a switch that only if that switch is on the aux lights will come on. In other words the lights only work when in rev and when switch is on. If switch is off when in rev lights will not come on.
Sorry if I did t explain it well. I have seen diagrams for an on-off-on switch but I don't want to accidentally activate the lights driving down the road and blind the cars behind me. The way I would like would not allow that to happen without it being in reverse.
I also need specific direction as to which way any diodes need to be installed if they are needed for this setup. Indicating which side the stripe goes etc.
Thanks
Don

·
Registered
105 Posts
Can't draw it out for you right now but basically this what you want.

Power from reverse light activates first relay. Power from this relay would go to your switch and from the switch to another relay which would then power the aux lights.

So if your switch is flipped on, it will only turn on when going into reverse. If your not in reverse, the first relay won't be on and not providing power to the switch and in turn not powering the aux lights.

Only issue with this is that your switch would not light up when not in reverse as it wouldn't have any power.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Why not just put the lights on a separate switch directly to the battery?
Just use a covered rocker switch. Very easy to see if it's on as the flip part has to be down for it to be off.
Plus you can get them lighted.
The reason I say this is because of the canbus system. Lots of problems can occur from splicing into the stock harness. Not saying it will for sure. But it scares me enough to run my own wires for all my lights. Just an idea. I do understand why you want to only be able to use them when in reverse and only if you require them when in reverse. But seems like more messing around than is really required.
The above post will work. Basically your reverse light is your master switch. If the master is off then the aftermarket lights cannot activate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks guys.
Xrave, unfortunately I am a visual learner. Don't feel obligated but if you have a chance to draw something up that would really help me as yours is the route I really want to take.
Some other questions with your method/
1. Do I need diodes and where would they go?
2. What relays should I use?
3. Do I need just an on - off switch or a 3 way switch?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Cooperstown39. Thanks
What size fuse do you recommend and would I need to put any diodes to prevent back feeding to the canbus system that I have seen mentioned?
Don

·
Registered
174 Posts
Cooperstown39. Thanks
What size fuse do you recommend and would I need to put any diodes to prevent back feeding to the canbus system that I have seen mentioned?
Don
If the lights are 55 watts each and you are running two of them then your draw will be just over 9 amps. The fuse is purely precautionary but I would use a 15 amp. As for the diode, I am not real familiar with the canbus system or how it is sensing the load. I run aux backup lights that come on automatically when I am in reverse and do not have any problems. However, mine are LED's and only draw a few amps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks again..
I may have responded to quickly. I did a quick calc and those 55 watt lights maybe too much for the backup light circuit. I am not sure of the amps for the existing b/u lights but you would need to add this to the 9 amps you would be pulling for your halogens. The total may be too much for the circuit and wiring and blow a fuse.

My apologies for not catching this sooner! I think the options from the other posts are good suggestions as they would give you a dedicated circuit for the power to the lights.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Can't draw it out for you right now but basically this what you want.

Power from reverse light activates first relay. Power from this relay would go to your switch and from the switch to another relay which would then power the aux lights.

So if your switch is flipped on, it will only turn on when going into reverse. If your not in reverse, the first relay won't be on and not providing power to the switch and in turn not powering the aux lights.

Only issue with this is that your switch would not light up when not in reverse as it wouldn't have any power.
I believe this is what @Xrave had in mind.

View attachment 2328657

This give you an independent circuit for the lights. The power from the existing b/u lights is only being used to trigger the first relay and not to power the aux lights or the switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tganks

Thanks again guys. The canbus system makes me nervous so I ended up just wiring to a separate switch with really.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks again guys. The canbus system makes me nervous so I ended up just wiring to a separate switch with really.
You mean to power it separately from the reverse lights?

There's actually an easier way to do the wiring than what I previously mentioned.

1 relay, 1 switch.

Power from reverse lights goes through switch them from switch to relay. Power from battery comes through relay to then power the aux lights. This would give you exactly what you wanted, my other method just had an unnecessary step.

The switch isn't actually powering the lights, it's only drawing enough power to trip the relay which shouldn't mess with the canbus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts