Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an AEV 2.5 lift last week. I recently noticed that the right tire sticks out an inch further to the right that the left rear tire. Maybe this is some of the pull to the left? I thought maybe the AEV track bar needed to be adjusted via the u bolts, so I called Adam's to have it realigned despite me seeing the perfect alignment readout and i also emailed AEV to ask them about it. AEV said that with the stock bumper that this is normal until I put some weight on it with an aftermarket bumper. Is this true? Because that is annoying to have to put up with having a cocked rear axle. I don't have the money to bleed out for bumpers. Should I just put an adjustable track bar on and adjust to center it when I haul something?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
How are you measuring ?

There's no adjustment to the bracket. Assuming the track bar is the same or longer then stock. In no way shape or form should the axle be shifted to the right side.
Maybe left (over corrected)

Raising the track bar 4-5" like AEV does centers the axle or shifts it to the left depending on the length of the new track bar.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If your Jeep pulls left, axle centering isn't typically the culprit; especially with the good alignment numbers. An alignment rack usually measures thrust angle anyway and an off center axle won't cause a pull anyway since a parallelogram will still have parallel sides.

My Jeep had this same issue. It started when I installed new tires (Cooper STT). No matter what position the tires were on, tire pressure, alignment, etc., it always pulled left. I installed new rubber (Duratracs) and the pull went away. In the mean time, I had chased the pull all over good ol' planet earth and replaced $1000+ worth of suspension/steering parts. I changed my 2.5 frankenlift for an AEV 2.5 with absolutely no change.

My suggestion to you: If you still have the original tires, put them back on to check if the pull goes away. I'd give it 8.5/10 that it will. Then you have isolated the issue and can proceed. Otherwise the tire store will blame the vehicle, and the shop will blame the tires.

Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a new AEV 2.5" lift as well. I took measurements this morning, and the right side sticks out about 1/2 inch more than the left (driver) side. I am getting new bumpers etc. next week, and I will measure again to see if it goes away. I took the measurement from the rear frame to the outside of the tire.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I have a new AEV 2.5" lift as well. I took measurements this morning, and the right side sticks out about 1/2 inch more than the left (driver) side. I am getting new bumpers etc. next week, and I will measure again to see if it goes away. I took the measurement from the rear frame to the outside of the tire.
You guys mean the passenger side right ?

Somebody needs to compare the lengths of the AEV and stock TB.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean that the rear passenger tire sticks out an inch more than the driver side tire. I did a visual inspection down each side of the Jeep to see it (see pics), but I'll measure from the frame when I get home and measure my old track bar along with the new one to compare. However while on break at work I had 2 guys averaging about 200 pounds stand on the back bumper to see if it really would shift from being weighted down. It DID and the axle seemed almost centered. I don't think bumpers are 400 pounds each though. The AEV track bar doesn't attach directly to the existing axle mount. It uses what they call a track bar tower connected to the factory mount on the axle, but you are right that (kjeeper10) that it cannot be adjusted. I was thinking that I could loosen the u-bolts and slide it over. - Maybe I didn't torque the track bar. It never says to do so in the instructions so maybe I missed it.
http://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets/AEV_25_XT_Suspension(AEV30207AD).pdf

(MikeInMinn) As far as it pulling left, based on steering stabilizer posts, I still think the fox stabilizer is doing it. Even though I adjusted it by turning the front wheels all the way left, loosening the stabilizer mount to the tie rod, extending the stabilizer all of the way, and then tightening it. That seemed to make it pull less and now it slowly drifts left instead of pulling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MKDFW, how long have you had your lift? After the guys stood on the bumper, it seems like it scooted in a bit. Maybe the springs just need to settle or I need to load the back up with some bricks until I can afford to get a bumper? - I'm grasping at straws now.

Speaking of bumpers, I really like the Rampage recovery bumpers. Heavy duty. Btw, do you guys know if those bumpers or most after market bumpers use the existing air bag sensors?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You guys mean the passenger side right ?

Somebody needs to compare the lengths of the AEV and stock TB.
Yes, the passenger side rear sticks out about 1/2" more. By the way, you are the one who got me started on all this stuff. Once I get the LoD bumpers and lights installed, I'll post a few pictures.

MKDFW, how long have you had your lift? After the guys stood on the bumper, it seems like it scooted in a bit. Maybe the springs just need to settle or I need to load the back up with some bricks until I can afford to get a bumper? - I'm grasping at straws now.

Speaking of bumpers, I really like the Rampage recovery bumpers. Heavy duty. Btw, do you guys know if those bumpers or most after market bumpers use the existing air bag sensors?
I have had mine for about two weeks. I do have some extra weight (compared to your Jeep) because I have the LoD rock sliders installed. They weigh 120 Lbs. Once I add the bumpers, I will "net up" (deducting the weight of the stock bumpers) about 140 Lbs in the back (bumper, carrier, and extra weight of tire), and 130 Lbs in the front (bumper, skid plate, winch, and winch guard/bar). I think it will solve the issue. I will let you know in a couple of weeks.

If I were you, I would recheck everything, and give the suspension about 500 miles to settle down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I measured. From inside of rear tire to outside of frame where square hole is. It's shifted a half inch. left is 2 3/4", right is 3 1/4".

Both the AEV and stock rear track bar are the same lengths. 40 3/4" from outside of connectingbolt to outside of other connecting bolt. But the AEV has the extension bracket and bend to clear the differential.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I measured. From inside of rear tire to outside of frame where square hole is. It's shifted a half inch. left is 2 3/4", right is 3 1/4". Both the AEV and stock rear track bar are the same lengths. 40 3/4" from outside of connectingbolt to outside of other connecting bolt. But the AEV has the extension bracket and bend to clear the differential.
Then it actually is only shifted a quarter inch. Move it a quarter inch and they will both be at 3".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My mistake, yes I meant the tire stuck out a half inch more on the right, but yes if centered that would push it left 1/4 of an inch. The track bar/bracket are not adjustable unfortunately. I guess I will have to live with it until I can afford an adjustable track bar or bumper. Any recommendations on a good brand?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
My mistake, yes I meant the tire stuck out a half inch more on the right, but yes if centered that would push it left 1/4 of an inch. The track bar/bracket are not adjustable unfortunately. I guess I will have to live with it until I can afford an adjustable track bar or bumper. Any recommendations on a good brand?
Track bar or bumper ? Lol

You need to watch uptravel and exhaust clearance with AEV's track bar tower.
RK's new track bar is bent more for clearance. MC's is super bent running a similar bracket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice track bar no doubt. AEV raises the rear track bar higher then most. Take a look at my RK Rev 1 track bar without the bend for exhaust clearance.

I don't know how the OP uses his/her jeep but if wheeled, just something to keep in mind.
He uses it to get to work mostly. It's my daily driver but if I can find some mild trails I'll take it off road. I'm too broke to break anything.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Looks like a good one, but price is a little more than I want too spend. Then again I've come this far might as well max the card out. :)
Once you see it you won't be sorry :)

If you don't have a good adjustable on the front I'd recommend this. It'll stiffen your steering as well as center your axle. Highly recommended.

Teraflex 1753418 - TeraFlex Monster HD Forged Front Adjustable Trackbar for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 0-6" Lift - Quadratec

1 - 20 of 20 Posts