Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Getting a little frustrated here. Recently regeared to 4.88 and had new bearings and deals pressed on. They lasted for about a thousand miles, and now I've had them changed two other times besides that in the past 2 weeks. I decided to buy OEM seals and bearings today and it is still leaking! I've heard a few things of what could be possible symptoms but I don't have any of those. No surface rust on the axle shaft, I heard that if there was it would not deal right. Secondly, I believe that the rear diff is to be filled with 2 quarts. I'm putting 85-140 conventional oil in. I also heard today which I thought was absurd.... I'm running poison spyder diff covers that are made of cast iron. Mechanic told me that since it is cast iron that it is much more prone to build up heat. I daily drive 60 miles a day and they said that from all that heat build up, the path of least resistance gave way to a leak. Quite frankly I think that's the biggest horse shit I have ever heard in my entire life but who knows. Any guesses?

·
Registered
755 Posts
What axle are you running? I am familiar with the d44. They often leak from around the seal body itself instead of on the seal-shaft contact point. A thin layer of RTV sealant is recommended when installing them. The bearing retainer needs to be the correct style for from breaks and for disc brakes. Disc brakes require a retainer that has a raised ring that faces the seal and bearing.

Post up what axle you have.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm away from the jeep at the moment but it's an 05 LJ so it has a D44 rear with an LSD. No aftermarket shafts or anything. Everything is OEM except for the Revolution gear and axle ring and pinion when I regeared.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
When you put the shaft back in, be sure to NOT overtighten the retaining plate as you can bend it (which might cause it to leak slightly?) There is a lip on the retaining plate with disc brakes that goes toward the inside. 45 ft/lbs is all those four nuts need.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok finally figured it out and it stopped leaking. I think it was important to let the RTV settle for a good amount of time before putting the rest of the rear end back together. That was the only thing I did that was different than the previous times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts