Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done this? i am thinking about it and am looking for any tips! how easy? what to consider? etc... thanks

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
also consider a ford 8.8 swap, can find them in junkyard for under $200.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No it's the same bolt pattern as the Dana 35 and usually if you get it after the 1996 it will have caliper brakes instead of drums. Works pretty well I understand - however I'm with you beardown. If you can find a D44 that will swap in it's less complicated. Still have to cut and weld and run all your brake lines tho.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm ill look into it thanks! and... does anyone know what rear axl is in a 98 jeep grand cherokee?

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
From what I have heard, the dana 44 in the Grand Cherokees is made of aluminium and not really that strong. A lot of XJ Cherokees came from the factory with the dana 44 though.

Jeff

·
Registered
402 Posts
The 8.8 is far superior plus look for later models with the disk brakes. Its like getting 2 upgrades for the price of one with virtually no more work involved. Under $200 (especially from a salvage yard) seems to good to be true for around here, maybe off craigs list. I know they are in salvage yards around here for about $350 with the drive shaft end you will need...

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
The ZJ dana 44 is odd ball. Stay away from it. The 8.8 needs new spring plates welded on and shock tabs, get an adaptor for the driveshaft, weld the axle tubes and that's about it for the YJ. Mine is sitting in the garage waiting for a bit warmer weather to be worked on.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not to stray from the topic, but why does everybody weld their axle tubes? I have never welded a single axle tube on any rear swap I have ever done and no factory or commercial axle builder<that I know of ever does>. I would say you better truss 'em good if you do because if you ever damage your tube it is gonna be hell removing them without damage to the housing after a good weld. Anybody that has ever removed the tubes for a conversion, like a front to rear or rear to front knows these things dont just fall out. Seems kinda like non-sense to me, but maybe I am over-looking something here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts