Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time on here and I need your guys expertise. I have a 2011 jk and I put a 2.5 inch lift with 35's and 20's. My mechanic told me that the rear axle seals were leaking because of the bigger tires. He's inexperienced with jeeps. Does this sound right? Anyone else have this problem? What's the solution?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
It's possible that they were already close to failure and the extra stress of the 35's finished them off.

The solution is to replace them. They are a wear item that would have eventually started leaking without the tire upgrade.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
No the bigger tires did not make them leak. They would have leaked no matter what. Tire size has nothing to do with the seal working on an axle as long as the bearings are good. Tire size however can be a factor for bearings wearing out faster but with only 35's I promise you that was not the issue.

It dose not matter what kind of shape your bearings are in because they are going to have to be replaced to change the seal anyways.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Bigger tires won't eat the seal - although seals are prone to go anyhow, this is not an uncommon failure.

Bigger tires do however tend to bend the rear shafts at the flange - make sure to get it up on a rack, if they are bent you should see wobble. Replace them if needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts