Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've had lotsa jeeps over the years, from a 41'GPW up to my current 2017 JKU. I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on them and never had an axle seal issue. I've had 1 front axle seal replaced at about 42k and now both rear axle seals on this 44 are leaking. 馃槨
Any thoughts on why? I dont think this is normal. I'm running 35s on 3.73 gears. Pretty sure that's not the problem either. The vent tube cap isn't stuck.

Premium Member
Seems to be pretty normal according to this forum. I鈥檓 at 44k and on my second set of fronts, one is seeping, and third set of rears.

Registered
what diff oil are they putting in?

Registered
yikes... go to a synthetic 75w140. I use royal purple. never had an issue.

Registered
I've had lotsa jeeps over the years, from a 41'GPW up to my current 2017 JKU. I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on them and never had an axle seal issue. I've had 1 front axle seal replaced at about 42k and now both rear axle seals on this 44 are leaking. 馃槨
Any thoughts on why? I dont think this is normal. I'm running 35s on 3.73 gears. Pretty sure that's not the problem either. The vent tube cap isn't stuck.
Seems to be pretty normal according to this forum. I鈥檓 at 44k and on my second set of fronts, one is seeping, and third set of rears.
You have already replaced front and rear axle seals at 44k?!? Man that is crazy.

Registered
Synthetic sucks in these things... Two major aftermarket axle builders (Currie, Dynatrac) state to run only non synthetic now. They found that synthetic not only doesn鈥檛 flow right due to certain additives, it also causes the gear sets to run much hotter and they were seeing gear set failures as a result. Synthetic is also much thinner which results in more seal seepage/leakage.
I run and suggest Torco non synthetic in the 85w140 RGO. (Currie and Dynatrac suggest this) I was actually getting seepage of synthetic through the rosette welds and tube/case junction on my rear diff and it has ended once I switched to the Torco.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Got the jeep back today. The dealer also found the axle bearings bad, so they replaced those as well.
I'll be servicing F&R diffs this weekend with 75w140 Amsoil. Hopefully this helps with longevity

Registered
Synthetic sucks in these things... Two major aftermarket axle builders (Currie, Dynatrac) state to run only non synthetic now. They found that synthetic not only doesn鈥檛 flow right due to certain additives, it also causes the gear sets to run much hotter and they were seeing gear set failures as a result. Synthetic is also much thinner which results in more seal seepage/leakage.
I run and suggest Torco non synthetic in the 85w140 RGO. (Currie and Dynatrac suggest this) I was actually getting seepage of synthetic through the rosette welds and tube/case junction on my rear diff and it has ended once I switched to the Torco.
I can tell you this. I have Dana 44鈥檚 in my Jeep now but I have the Dana 30鈥檚 in my grand Cherokee and I鈥檝e always ran Mobil 1 80w/90 in the front and 75w/140 in the rear and it has worked perfect. I bought it about 8 years ago with 70k on it and the rear diff was starting to whine a little. (Pinion bearing) I changed both to Mobil 1 and the noise went away. I changed it again at about 160k again with Mobil 1. It now has about 245 thousand miles on it and still it is perfectly quite. So me personally I鈥檓 a firm believer in synthetics. As far as synthetic being thinner that just isn鈥檛 true.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts