Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone done one? I have a 90 yj with a 4.2 I believe its the D35 in the rear. My pass side seal is leaking bad! Are these the seals that are way inside right outside the diff?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
So there is a seal at the axle shaft where it enters the axle tube so if is leaking there and bolts are not loose it should be an easy fix.

I just looked at mine

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
just a thought here...it could be a wheel cylinder leaking you sure its gear fluid??? what color? leaking from the brake drum area?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm positive its gear oil. I'm actually a mechanic just haven't done this job before and was wondering how it was.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there is a seal at the axle shaft where it enters the axle tube so if is leaking there and bolts are not loose it should be an easy fix.

I just looked at mine
So your saying the seal is towards the wheel? My front seals are deeper into the axle right by the diff gears

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yeah the rear is different. I have done these in a few axles. The are right behind the backing plate for the drum brakes. Make sure you lube it with fresh oil good before putting the axle back through. They make a special tool to put the seals in, but in my experience you dont need it. Just a large socket, or place the old seal on top of the new seal with a block of wood and hammer it in. Has to be 100% square though. Obviously you have to open up the rear diff to drain it and to pull the C Clips off so you can pull the axles out. If one is going you might as well do the other too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the rear is different. I have done these in a few axles. The are right behind the backing plate for the drum brakes. Make sure you lube it with fresh oil good before putting the axle back through. They make a special tool to put the seals in, but in my experience you dont need it. Just a large socket, or place the old seal on top of the new seal with a block of wood and hammer it in. Has to be 100% square though. Obviously you have to open up the rear diff to drain it and to pull the C Clips off so you can pull the axles out. If one is going you might as well do the other too.
Thanks man! Your positive its a c-clip style and the seal isn't deep into the tube towards the diff? I appreciate the knowledge

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yeah. If you have a Dana 35 I am 100% sure about both the C-Clip and the seal location. The fronts are different because of the split axle, universal joints and things.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. If you have a Dana 35 I am 100% sure about both the C-Clip and the seal location. The fronts are different because of the split axle, universal joints and things.
Ok sounds good. Just wondering. How do I know what size dana I have? And what is the size refering too? New to this whole dana thing haha

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You know I have seen when buying parts the Dana 44 listed as an axle that you could get in a YJ. I have never seen or heard of anyone with a factory 44 though. Chances are you have a 35. Either way this chart will help.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
good thread. thanks for the help!
No problem. Might as well get brake pads while your at it. I bet they are contaminated now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know I have seen when buying parts the Dana 44 listed as an axle that you could get in a YJ. I have never seen or heard of anyone with a factory 44 though. Chances are you have a 35. Either way this chart will help.
I think mine is actually the C8.25 one. Mine has the rubber grommet like that but looks kinda like the 35 too. Urrg!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I think mine is actually the C8.25 one. Mine has the rubber grommet like that but looks kinda like the 35 too. Urrg!
The 8.25 is mainly in Cherokee's. You do not have that. You have a 35.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That's what I figured. It just has the grommet like it. I tend to overthink things! Thanks man. I'm gunna knock out the seals most likely this weekend.
The d35 does have a rubber plug. Not sure why the one in the pic is threaded in.

From what I gather, the rear yj 44 was a rare option only offered in Canada.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts