Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Guess your screwed. Ok, I know your getting frustrated, believe me when I tell you that you are doing something wrong when it comes to your adjuster. You have to be patient and figure it out because there isn't anymore tricks to it than you have already been told. The only other option you have at this point it to tow it to a garage and pay a guy like me to fix your mistake.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Can you offer any advice on the direction debate that I was having above? I may be wrong but I feel the star needs to be adjusted from bottom to top (read) from the POV of the hole on the inside of the rear assembly...

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I'm going to assume when you were tightening the star wheel that you really,really tightened it up, am I correct? That was your first mistake, the star wheel easily tightens up but as you now know is a lot harder to back off. The adjuster adjusts in a different direction depending on the side you are on. Just keep trying, you know what you have to do. If you have damaged the star wheel as you mentioned the drum is going to have to come off and the star wheel replaced. Sorry but I can't help you any further than that. Unless you can remember which way you adjusted to tighten, it's the opposite way too loosen.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The adjuster adjusts in a different direction depending on the side you are on.
I thought this isn't true becuase the R/L adjusters are different so they would in fact turn in the same directions to tighten/loosen or is that false?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got it!

The star DOES need to spin from BOTTOM to TOP to back off the adjuster from the POV of the access hole. I had mine beasted on so tight from thinking elsewise it made it near impossible. What I did was get a 2nd set of hands and using 4 hands we held a flashlight, the lever down, and then used a flathead screwdriver and hammered the star adjuster upwards (bottom to top) to free it. Pulled the drum and lubed up the star adjusters and it looks OK for now. Shoes weren't as bad as I thought and I'll be holding out on anymore brake work until after winter haha.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wow - I saw the picture but it didn't click. I guess I'm old, that brake is slightly different than others. This one the lever is on the underside of the wheel. When you back up it moves the outside of the wheel UP to tighten it. From the backside it would be DOWN to tighten. So the reverse to loosen it.
From the inside - backing plate side, you would turn the wheel UP to loosen it.

Since the other side has reverse threads on the wheel, it would be the same.

Sorry for the misleading advice - guess I did way too many of the other type with the lever pushing down.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No problem, I appreciate the help and your wisdom, this has been a huge learning process and will definitely help when I overhaul my rear brakes in the spring

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did you ever get the adjusters loose or the drums off? Man, the suspense is killing me. I gotta know what happened.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Disregard my last post, sorry. I didn't see your post. Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Haha yea, it just sucks when the car you wrench a lot is your DD to work and something goes wrong

21 - 32 of 32 Posts