Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace my rear rotors and installed new rear brake pads. Now I'm hearing a grinding noise coming from the rear brakes. I found out its coming from the emergency brake do I need to replace the emergency pads also.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You're going to have to take everything apart and inspect it. I would be surprised if you need e-brake pads already unless they were hanging up and constantly rubbing. I'm assuming you have a newer JK, but if you don't they could be worn. If there was no noise prior to repalcing the rotors and pads then it might not be the e-brake. I would re-do it and make sure everything is correctly in place and make sure the caliper guide pins are lubricated. Just curious as to how you know it's actually the e-brake.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Did you clean the entire rotor with brake cleaner,outside and inside where the parking brake is?
You might just need to adjust the parking brake to the new rotors.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the E brake and the noise went away and yes I cleaned the new rotors with brake clean before I installed them. I will pull them apart again this weekend to try and see if there is a part some where that may need to be replaced. And my JK is a 2013 so I hope the e brakes are not worn out.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I pulled the E brake and the noise went away and yes I cleaned the new rotors with brake clean before I installed them. I will pull them apart again this weekend to try and see if there is a part some where that may need to be replaced. And my JK is a 2013 so I hope the e brakes are not worn out.
It sounds like your e-brake isn't fully releasing. Maybe it has something to do with the brake service you just completed or it can be coincidental. Check your cables. There have been complaints about the passenger side hanging up on some JK's. I would hope you don't need to replace the shoes on a 2 yr. old JK. I'm also surprised that you had to replace the rotors, unless there's high mileage or somehow they warped. If they were just replaced as part of the brake service then I can see that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts