Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my wife's rear brakes. Before I buy new rotors and pads I want to hear about some options that you guys might be running and like. So, lets talk brakes!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I am very impressed by the Black Magic brake pads. The stock (but pretty new) pads sucked when I switched to 35s. The Black Magic pads shorted the stopping distance by a lot and can squeal the tires fast. I hear they work better than the EBC pads. That is all I got.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I needed more stopping power when I upgraded to 37" tires. I wanted to upgrade to Rebel Offroad rotors which are slotted and drilled. I never did but I recommended it to a friend with a JKU and 37s and he did install them. He said the improvement was noticeable. He also changed the pads but I don't remember the brand.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Subscribed. I'm replacing my rear pads & rotors as well once I get my lift and new 35's installed. Matador - are you looking at replacing the calipers as well?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is for my wife's Jeep that is completely stock. The stock brakes worked perfectly fine for her but if there are better options out there I would be open to them. Right now I have a complete set of stock rear rotors and (crown) pads priced out to $187.

·
Registered
301 Posts
How many folks do actually change out the brakes when they go with larger tires? Makes sense to do it but I really don't know too many Jeepers that did. Next set of tires will be 37's and although I'm not worried about daily driving, I am wondering about trail riding where I'm on the brakes a lot when crawling.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I used Wagner ThermoQuiet brake pads and rotors on my wife's Toyota Highlander and my old Toyota Tacoma and I was very pleased with them. My JKU is only a few months old so I have not had to replace the brakes on it yet. I will use the Wagner pads on it though when it is time. Also, I buy the brake pads on Amazon because the price was a good bit lower than the local parts stores.

ThermoQuiet CeramicNXT Brake Pads

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was considering it only because I need to. One of my rear rotors had some grooving when I changed pads last year. I was lazy and just changed the pads. Figure I need to do it up right this time. Any concerns with changing out just the rear?

Great suggestions on pads and rotors from everyone!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I was considering it only because I need to. One of my rear rotors had some grooving when I changed pads last year. I was lazy and just changed the pads. Figure I need to do it up right this time. Any concerns with changing out just the rear?

I always do all 4 with pads and rotors on my other vehicles. My J/K only has 7400 miles but I changed to 35's at 6700. I will upgrade when its time but as a rule when I do brakes its all around the vehicle. Just my opinion. Good Luck.

·
Registered
346 Posts

On a JK, your rear pads will wear about 3X faster than the front. I don't see a need to change good from pads just because the rears are toast.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
I needed more stopping power when I upgraded to 37" tires. I wanted to upgrade to Rebel Offroad rotors which are slotted and drilled. I never did but I recommended it to a friend with a JKU and 37s and he did install them. He said the improvement was noticeable. He also changed the pads but I don't remember the brand.
he go oversized rotors all the way around. i didn't realize they made a big brake kit for the rear axle.

OP i have the TeraFlex big brake kit (just the rotor and caliper relocation) and it's a noticable difference in stopping power. which i like... especially with bigger tires both on the street or crawling on the trail.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
go with hawk pads.
ebc pads have been jacking up rotors
Do you like the hawk pads? I was looking at those because they were only a couple of dollars more than the crown. Also which Hawk pads did you get, the

HPS

or the LTS?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am very impressed by the Black Magic brake pads. The stock (but pretty new) pads sucked when I switched to 35s. The Black Magic pads shorted the stopping distance by a lot and can squeal the tires fast. I hear they work better than the EBC pads. That is all I got.
Shouldn't ABS all but eliminate the chance of squealing the tires?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Nope- not with these MTRs, evidently. I think the tread starts to fold a bit and causes the squeal before it lets go.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You will hear the tires squeal but the ABS won't let them slide. That's just the sound of them working to get you stopped - like mine had to do for me this afternoon when some bozo pulled out in front of me.
I thank my TF big brake kit for keeping me from running his Corolla over! Night and day compared to stock equipment.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
You will hear the tires squeal but the ABS won't let them slide. That's just the sound of them working to get you stopped - like mine had to do for me this afternoon when some bozo pulled out in front of me.
I thank my TF big brake kit for keeping me from running his Corolla over! Night and day compared to stock equipment.
did you get the caliper also? or just the rotor and caliper bracket?

·
Registered
346 Posts
calipers included.

I can't take the credit though. The PO put them on. They were my 07 when I bought it.

I goggled them after I noticed them during my crawl under inspection after test drive.

About a car length shorter stop from 60 mph and about $750 parts, if I remember right.

I still want to upgrade the master cylinder.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
right on. wondered how the caliper was. I have the rotors already. just not the caliper. I think that's as far as I'll go. does great on the rocks. and DD.

why the master cylinder? soft pedal?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Little soft, yes. I noticed after switching jeeps with a friend of mine's with stock brakes-he did too. Nothing major, though.

I figure it's working harder to squeeze them...

Domino effect-it's hard to stop improving (spending)!!

Do you notice any with the stock calipers?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts