Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding the rear brakes on my 2007 wrangler JK (50000 miles). A friend of mine replaced my rear pads today as I watched (learning) and we did not install the 8 metal clips that came with the pads. Can anyone tell me anything about this please? I also noticed a shake after driving for 20 miles going around a corner and my ABS light flashed. Related? We also didnt replace the rotors as they were on too tight and actually looked fine and smooth. Thanks for any help....not a mechanic as you can see.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Are you sure your friend didn't use the original clips. Some owners don't replace the clips if they're still serviceable. Ask your friend if he used the original clips instead of the ones that came with the new pads.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No he wasnt aware - we noticed them after the fact in the box - what exactly do they do and is this a safety issue? thanks for the response

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
They're "anti-rattle" clips. They should be installed. The original clips had to have been removed when the worn pads were removed from the caliper, so your friend should have noticed that something was missing when the new pads were installed. The "shake" you felt is most likely due to the clips not being installed. At 50K miles I would have replaced the rotors. They might be fine but a visual inspection doesn't necessarily reveal if the rotors are warped. Sometimes it takes some force to remove the rotors, but it can be done. IMO you should have someone or a shop that knows how to properly service brakes check what was done. That's the only way I think you'll know that your brakes are actually "safe" at this point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rattling was coming from my rear... Took it to a shop and it was my brakes. They needed replacing anyways but rattling is now gone!

·
Registered
941 Posts
the clips dont need to come out when your replacing pads.

sometimes i dont bother replacing em at work its all about how the new pads fit.

its not something that would cause a abs light and a shake unless they wernt installed at all.

id make sure your calipers and brackets are tight though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts