Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had a noise coming from what I thought to be the front passenger brakes, figured it was the indicator tab scraping the rotor. No problem, I picked up some pads on the way home and figured it would be a 30 min job. However when I took the first wheel and caliper off and inspected the pads I was confused, because it was barley worn at all. I checked the other side and the same thing, no significant wear. So I put everything back together and checked the rear pads, and they were completely gone on the passenger side and almost gone on the drivers side.

Is it normal for the rear brake pads to wear out before the front pads? I have owned a lot of different vehicles over the years and I have never seen the rear pads go before the front pads. It's a 2013 JKU with 62k miles, and I have owned it since it was new.

It would seem to me the rear is doing more braking then the front, which is totally opposite of what I thought it should be.

Should I be concerned about this?

Cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey there. I work as an auto mechanic and the first time I saw this I was baffled as well. I found out that the JKs have a hill start assist mode that engages your rear break pads so you don't roll backwards and they release when enough pressure is applied. I thought this was only on my manual but it turns out it's also on the autos for some reason. There is a way to turn it off, but I don't remember. I will look it up and link it for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here's how to turn off Hill Start Assist:
*Engine off, auto in P. Manual in N, clutch out, parking brake on, wheels straight.
*Start engine.
*Engine running, brake applied, clutch out, rotate steering wheel 180º counterclockwise from center (and leave it there).
*Press ESC OFF switch 4 times within 20 seconds.
*Rotate steering wheel 360º clockwise.
*Turn ignition switch OFF, then ON.
*If done properly, the “ESC Activation/Malfunction light” will blink several times to show that HSA is off.
*Steps above must be completed within 90 seconds to turn off HSA. To turn back on, repeat steps 1-7.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Yep, the wear is not from the hill start assist. You would have to start and stop on hills constantly for that system to wear the pads. The wear comes from the vehicle stability control. From what I understand, the vehicle computer constantly works the rear brakes as part of the stability control system.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Wheelin' has a big impact on rear brake wear. The BLD is very nice but eats the rear brakes. Stability control is definitely a close second.

Bob K.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Theres another thread on this somewhere, but yeah this is "normal". I just did the rears on my '11 at 59K miles. They were toast, the fronts still looked good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I still blame it on the hill start assist. Not saying the other factors aren't a issue as well, but on my 14 jku I always noticed it was holding the rear pads on, even if I was on flat land. After I turned it off it was like driving a whole new machine. I looked on my EVIC and could not find anything about it, but the idiotic process did turn it off.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
This is actually common on most modern vehicles. I first noticed it on VWs years ago. Basically, its called "Brake Proportioning". Imagine braking on a bicycle, too much front brake pressure and the front dives and you go over, too much rear brakes and you might skid. hitting both with more pressure on the rear will give you a more steady braking path. This little paragraph does a better job of explaining why....

knowyourparts.com said:
Another factor that has accelerated brake wear (especially rear brake wear) in certain late model vehicles is the change to electronic brake proportioning. The proportioning valve that normally reduces hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes has been eliminated so the rear brakes will handle a higher percentage of the brake load and be more aggressive. The antilock brake system performs the job of brake proportioning by keeping an eye on how the rear brakes are behaving. If the rear brakes start to lock up when braking hard, the ABS system kicks in and cycles pressure to the rear wheels to prevent them from skidding. This approach helps the vehicle stop in a shorter distance, but also increases rear brake wear dramatically. This means the rear brakes will often wear out before the front brakes. - See more at: The Basics of Brakes and Bearings | KnowYourParts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm at 59000 miles on the original brakes. And it's an automatic.

You might consider doing an inspection, mine was fine until the pad on the passenger side decided to break off. Grinding metal when you hit the brake pedal is worse than scratching fingernails on a chalk board.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had to do mine at 52K and the fronts are still good. Bitch to get the rear rotors off because of the lip on the inside with the e brake. 2010

·
Registered
119 Posts
I barely got 36K out of my rear brakes. I did both brakes and rotors as Advanced had everything on sale. I figured i'll just get the rotors machined and swap them the next time I need to change them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just went through this at 34K. Caught me completely by surprise. It ate up the inside of my rotor too. I chose not to address that at the time, as it was late and I needed it in the morning. I figured I would wind up having to do the job twice due to my hastiness, but I have no pulsing or noise. I figure I will just ride it out now and change the rotor the next time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm at 59000 miles on the original brakes. And it's an automatic.
I have close to the same mileage as you (57000)with my 2012 JKU and I just had my tires off for rotation and inspected the front and rear brake pads. They all have plenty of wear left in them. I even bought some EBC brake pads to replace as I have been hearing alot of people having their rear pads wear out fast but mine are fine.
The EBC pads will be there when I need them later on.

My brother has a 2010 JKU w/ 80000 miles and he is still on the original brake pads! We both work for the same telecommunications company and travel in the state of Florida for our jobs so we do alot of driving in the Jeeps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts