Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my rear brakes and rotors on my ‘12 jku sport. I haven’t had a chance to do real research on this, but I know the ebrake is involved somehow. Going to order parts from rock auto, and wondering if I should be ordering more than just rotors and pads. Do other things generally break or need replacement when doing this job?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I haven't done the parking brake pads on mine, just the brake pads.

Would be a good time to upgrade to a larger rotor if you're running larger/heavier wheels/tires.

I've used the Teraflex one and am happy with it. LINK

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve got big rotors, dual piston calipers up front, SS brake lines all around and the larger diameter master cylinder. I’m pretty happy with how it performs as a whole, I’m just going to replace the rear with standard sized stuff but better than OEM quality. I think I’ll be plenty happy. Can’t justify the extra coin with current level of happiness.

I suppose I should replace the ebrake pads though. I have used it alone and they were pretty weak.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I painted my calipers while they were off the area, to help keep the rust off.

I bought standard rotors and the higher end pads. Unless you are constantly pulling on the ebrake, you shouldn’t have to do anything there.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I bought the e-brake rebuild kit when I replaced my rear rotors with Teraflex big rotors and I ended not using them because the existing shoes, springs, etc still looked fine. The kit was about $40 for the shoes and kit on amazon and I’ll have it when I need it someday so nothing wasted....now to remember where I put it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just finished the rear brakes on my JK. Make sure you get caliper Hardware kits and new caliper pin bushings while you're there. Also use the proper brake Lube that will not wash out.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I recently replaced my rear rotors and pads on my 2013 JKU. The rotors just slid off and on without any problems. The parking brake pads are just that, they are only used for the parking brake. I only needed to replace the pads and rotors. Nothing else needed to be replaced. I cleaned up the guide pins and reused them. There was nothing at all wrong with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts