Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling with this for last 5 hours. I watched videos on youtube before attempting
e.g:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70cB-plCF-g
However my brake setup looks completely different from the ones in the videos..
Long story short, this is how mine looks.

Jeep Cherokee Brakes - Fix your drum brakes - repair, maintenance, hardware & information.

Two questions:

Is there a order re-installing the brakes back on(return spring first? etc...). I cannot get the shoe spring to fall in place. So much so my adjuster lever is bent now from all the pulling. Do I have to compress the brakes(and how)?

Where can I buy a complete rebuild kit (minus the shoe and drums-which I already have)

·
Super Moderator
12,697 Posts
I don't know if Cherokee brakes are the same as Wrangler brakes or not.
I suggest you get a Haynes or Chilton repair manual, or better yet a Factory Service Manual. They each should have descriptions of how to assemble your brake system, with the FSM having the most detailed.

NAPA will have everything you need.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
They should have wheel cylinders, and "hardware kits"and L&R adjuster kits at the parts store.

Put the lower spring and adjuster on the two shoes. Larger shoe to the rear. And then attach that with the shoe hold down springs while weaseling the reaction bar and wire on. Compress the shoes in to push the wheel cylinder cups in till the top of the shoes contact the stop pin. Last thing to go on is the return springs using the installation tool.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I used to drive myself crazy with a handful of screwdrivers - once I got a $2 drum brake spring tool I was a happy camper.

Try winding your adjustment threads down a bit until you get your springs on and setup - then push them out and get the necessary spacing from the drum adjusted in. You may be trying to stretch the spring out too much for a fresh set of metal... just my $.02

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
If I run into a problem I hook the spring to the anchor plate and the shoe, with the shoe away from the back plate. Then push the shoe to the back plate and get the hold down spring in place to hold it down. The good news is once the springs are in place and the shoe held in place with the hold down spring you can move things around a bit and get the star wheel and other parts in place.

You can spread the top of the shoes apart [slightly] by hand or the bottom by hand once the springs are in place to tweak parts into place. It is a lot easier to explain as I'm doing it. HTH

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to drive myself crazy with a handful of screwdrivers - once I got a $2 drum brake spring tool I was a happy camper.

Try winding your adjustment threads down a bit until you get your springs on and setup - then push them out and get the necessary spacing from the drum adjusted in. You may be trying to stretch the spring out too much for a fresh set of metal... just my $.02
I did loosen the adjustment screw to point where it just fell off...
Anyway, I have ordered a new rebuild kit ( just springs and hardware).

·
Registered
878 Posts
I know what you are going through. I recently re-did all of the brakes on my YJ. What I found in the back was an enigma. I seemed to have a hodge-podge of both the 9" and 10" assemblies. I ordered new shoes and all new brake hardware before I even started. The new springs were very tight and difficult to install, even with the star wheel all the way in. I found that using my pointed-nose vise grips helped. I think that in hindsight, I should have also bought a spring installation tool too.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
You went the wrong way run them in, not out, and buy the Break spring tool, best money you can spend, have someone show you what all can be done with it, wow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts