Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have never done rear disc brakes. Are they any more difficult than front disc brakes? Anything special to know?

·
Registered
269 Posts
The only difference in rear and front discs is the e-brake in the rear. If I remember correctly the JK has a separate drum brake for the e-brake located inside/behind the rotor. Some cars integrate the e-brake into the caliper itself but I don't believe the Jeep is like that.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's fairly easy, you may have to remove the clips around the wheel studs if the Jeep hasn't had a brake job or the axles pulled before. You don't have to put the clips back on.

When I did it, I don't think I got my caliper piston fully compressed and it was dragging on the rotor. I pulled it back apart and compressed the piston again with a C clamp and it has been fine ever since. I should have spun the rotor before I put the wheels back on to check for contact with the pad. Lesson learned, I will next time.

This should help you out:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4349-MAINTENANCE-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Rear-Brake-Pad-Replacement

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the information. I will do these myself and save a couple hundred.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts