Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another question I hope you good folks can help me with.

When I upgrade my tire size I would like to upgrade my rear bumper also.
Here is what I will be looking for hope you folks can direct me to the proper builder.

On my wish list

Rear bumper that gives rear quarter panel protection.
Can accept tow hitch.
Can carry oversize rear tire. I doubt I will ever go larger then 33" but would like a carrier that is rated to 35".
Can be locked or opens with tailgate lock. I have a hard top and leave the rig parked at parking lots while hiking. Being able to lock personal equipment up is important to me.
Able to carry jerry cans and jack.

Thanks
Cub_Driver

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I'm planning on getting this tire carrier, except for the TJ model. ( they don't have a pic unless you get the installation directions off quadratec )

Anyway I don't see a whole lot for options for jerry cans but the selling point for me is that it connects to the tailgate and operates as one instead of two separate devices. Surely something could be fabricated though. A bit pricey though. $769

http://www.bestop.com/bestop-product/?p=bumpers-with-tire-carriers

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Hammer

Thats a nice looking system. I didn't see the ability to carry a couple of fuel cans. I would seldom need to do that but sure would be a nice option.

Cub_Driver

·
Registered
5,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
cub_driver said:
Thanks Hammer

Thats a nice looking system. I didn't see the ability to carry a couple of fuel cans. I would seldom need to do that but sure would be a nice option.

Cub_Driver
Yeah, that's the one downside I saw as well. In my case I can get a neighbor to fabricate something for me if I need. I know you were looking for the option but I thought I'd suggest any way.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
Not sure you're going to find one that meets all your requirements and opens with the tailgate. The Fessy design is similar to a few others on the market but the latch on them are the weak point. They tent to snap the u-bolt looking thingy no matter how tight you make it... the vibration seems to do them in.

LoD makes one with a slam lock type latch and can be configured to carry the gerry cans. Rock Hard also has a good latching mechanism that I've not seen any issues with... You may have to compromise when it comes to the swing out design if you want it to open with the tailgate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check out thedirtworx
Rearbumpers

He has an ebay store as well. I bunch of people on here seem to like is stuff and its pretty cheap. I've heard it take about a month to receive as he builds to order. Seems somewhat similar to fessy built.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I just installed this one on mine
http://fessybuilt.com/BumperImages/RearBumpers/87-06_JeepTJYJ/TJYJRear4A.jpg

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

you can set it up pretty much however you want to
Fessy Built

I know it doesnt attach to the gate but it is well built and has all other features. I really like it .
After all the searching I have done I never ran across fessy built. Gotta say it looks like some good stuff at a good price. Hows it holding up?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
After all the searching I have done I never ran across fessy built. Gotta say it looks like some good stuff at a good price. Hows it holding up?
he does a great job putting it together.. Press in bearings and great welds. I love it so far.. I just got it this winter so we'll see how it goes with the summer trails. but I'm sure it'll good. Like I said it's built very well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had one question about the fessy built bumper refering to width. Do you feel it's wide enough or could it use a few more inches? What is the optiman width of a rear bumper? Other then thinking the bumper maybe a little narrow it looks like a good product at a fare price.

Cub_Driver

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I like the JcrOffroad bumper and tire swing. Can you make it in a tube style bumper? or just the close snug look that I see here? Any chance it could be made to accommodate bigger cans, like 5 gallon cans?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I like the JcrOffroad bumper and tire swing. Can you make it in a tube style bumper?
Sorry, we don't build tube bumpers. Only what you see on our website.

Any chance it could be made to accommodate bigger cans, like 5 gallon cans?
Can't help here either. 10 gallons of gas is 100 trail miles, are you going on an expedition? :redface: We feel that 5 gallons of fuel is the perfect amount for the normal trail runner. No need to carry anymore weight than needed.

·
Registered
839 Posts
check out tuffdesigns i had their bumper liked it alot and it was dirt cheap. it was the only bumper that did all that minus locking closed but i bought a bike lock that was the PERFECT length to lock the tire and jerry cans

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sure glad I asked for help I was not able to find this type of bumper selection on the web. I do like the looks of the JCR bumper looks vary well made and a clean design. I like how you tappered the ends and extended them just past the rear quarter panel. I would do something vary similar If I build my own bumper. As mentioned I would perfer carry jerry cans over the 2 gallon cans. IMHO the only time you have to much fuel is when your on fire. Would it be possible to make a swing out braket to accomedate jerry cans? Also can you lock the swing out tire carrier with a paddlock or other device? What is the towing capacity of the bumper?

Thanks MNTNGOAT I will follow up on them.

Cub_Driver

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Would it be possible to make a swing out braket to accomedate jerry cans?
We don't do custom work, everything is built in bulk. So we wouldn't be able to make any changes.

You are more than welcome to mod how ever you see fit.

Also can you lock the swing out tire carrier with a paddlock or other device?
No, but from our experience, having to unlock a lock to open the gate to use the tailgate is a nuisance. We recommend that you just pick up a cable bike lock. You can than weave it through the wheel, the hi-lift, the cans and the carrier itself. That way you can use the tailgate as normal, but not have to worry about theft.

What is the towing capacity of the bumper?
Add the Frame-in brackets and tow the full factory tow rating :thumb:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts