Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a rear bumper for my JK. Every bumper I find is not rated to tow at all. My JK is a towing package. With the hitch being on the frame, what bumper could I purchase? Any ideas or am I completely off? Thanks in advance.:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the JCR Vanguard, and it allows the hitch receiver to stay attached to the frame. Plus, it's a great bumper/carrier.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just find any bumper that allows you to keep the hitch bolted to the frame and you'll be OK. I have a Smittybuilt tubular back bumper, the hitch is under the bumper, bolted to the frame so the bumper has nothing to do with the towing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok awesome yall. Thanks for the quick replies. Ill just have to do some research and probably use some customer chat things on some sites.

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
For what it's worth, I recently went through this with my Knuckles Off-Road rear bumper that has an integrated 2" receiver. Here is their response to my question...

Most likely the reason you haven't heard about bumpers being officially tow rated is because most manufacturers won't go through the process of having the hitch officially tow rated by the DOT. We do not have this official rating however we have had an independent engineer review our plans and inform us that our bumper surpasses the hitch capacity of the factory hitch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
I don't know if anyone else can confirm, but I've been dealing with the same question/problem as I've been looking at getting a rear bumper/carrier but will be towing in the near future. I've done some digging on several forums which stated basically the same thing that asteve said. So I did as someone on one of the forums did and called the manufacturer of the bumper I'm looking at and was told pretty much the same thing. Almost every bumper manufacturer avoids getting them towing rated to avoid any liability of some yahoo thinking he can now tow 10k because of his big steel bumper and something serious happening, but that they engineer them to tow within the OEM recommended range. To each his own...uhhh...opinion ;) and yes I know how vague that all sounded, but I don't want to be responsible for name dropping on unpublished claims...call 'em

·
Registered
258 Posts
First, call your insurance company and ask them if they're going to cover you if you decide to tow with something that's not tow rated(I'll bet you already know the answer). Then you can decide how much liability you can cover on your own. These companies that don't offer a tow rating should have to give you a warning that if you choose to tow with their bumper your insurance company may not cover you in the event of an accident. Some are tow rated. Those are the ones I'd trust, or just use one that will work with your factory hitch. I called a few of these unrated bumper manufacturers, and when really questioned, found out that the 2" receiver on their bumpers was there for accessories like a bike rack:mad: Buyer Beware.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
mopar offroad bumper works well.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Ranch Hand Sport (Part# BBJ071BLL) Got it, Love it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts