Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get rid of my stock rear bumper and replace it with a bumper/tire carrier combo. I love the way the SMITTYBILT SRC CLASSIC looks but I've heard that it is crap... Does anyone know of a bumper that looks like this one but is of better quality?

And I also have the smittybilt src front and that's why I was thinking about the smittybilt for the rear
 

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Save yourself some money...get the cheap Smittybilt basic rear bumper and then get the Bestop Highrock spare tire carrier. It mounts to the tub and isn't super difficult to install (took me a couple hours).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,901 Posts
s3nt3nc3d said:
Save yourself some money...get the cheap Smittybilt basic rear bumper and then get the Bestop Highrock spare tire carrier. It mounts to the tub and isn't super difficult to install (took me a couple hours).
I've been looking at that carrier. Any pics installed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,688 Posts
I like the poison spyder rear stinger carrier.
 

·
Motorized toy collector
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
Save yourself some money...get the cheap Smittybilt basic rear bumper and then get the Bestop Highrock spare tire carrier. It mounts to the tub and isn't super difficult to install (took me a couple hours).
Same combo that I have. No complaints yet after install. The hardware on the Bestop carrier was fudged up with paint. I just took the bag of bolts to the hardware store and bought all the matching grade 8 bolts I could find. Some useful threads on this and the other Jeep forum on the install process.

I've been looking at that carrier. Any pics installed?
Why yes!




I made a third brake light out of a center cap and a 2" led. It comes with a bracket to remount the stocker, but that would be more drilling.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TJDave said:
Same combo that I have. No complaints yet after install. The hardware on the Bestop carrier was fudged up with paint. I just took the bag of bolts to the hardware store and bought all the matching grade 8 bolts I could find. Some useful threads on this and the other Jeep forum on the install process.

Why yes!

I made a third brake light out of a center cap and a 2" led. It comes with a bracket to remount the stocker, but that would be more drilling.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your setup?

And would I really need a tire carrier right away? Like I was wanting to just buy the bumper and wait till I get more money. Would that be fine?
 

·
Motorized toy collector
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your setup?

And would I really need a tire carrier right away? Like I was wanting to just buy the bumper and wait till I get more money. Would that be fine?
I hung a 33x12.5x15 tire on my stock carrier for 3 years with no problems before I bought the Bestop and went to 35's. You just have to make sure that you extend the rubber bumpers so the tire fits snug against them and doesn't bounce around. That will destroy your tailgate. I used some hockey pucks as spacers and longer bolts.

The rear bumper with d-rings was $119.99, and the Bestop Carrier was $351.92 when I bought them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TJDave said:
I hung a 33x12.5x15 tire on my stock carrier for 3 years with no problems before I bought the Bestop and went to 35's. You just have to make sure that you extend the rubber bumpers so the tire fits snug against them and doesn't bounce around. That will destroy your tailgate. I used some hockey pucks as spacers and longer bolts.

The rear bumper with d-rings was $119.99, and the Bestop Carrier was $351.92 when I bought them.
Are you talking about these rubber bumpers?

View attachment 93635

And what do you mean by "destroy my tailgate"?
 

·
Motorized toy collector
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
Are you talking about these rubber bumpers?

View attachment 93635

And what do you mean by "destroy my tailgate"?
Thems be the ones. The factory put those there to keep the little 'ole stock tire from bouncing around and damaging the tire carrier and tailgate. Now put a bigger, heavier 33" tire on that and stick it out further with an aftermarket offset wheel.
More weight, more leverage. Lots of stories of bent tailgates, tailgates not shutting properly, rear windows not sealing properly, ripped sheet metal on the tailgate or tire carrier mount itself. It happens over time, not right away.

I myself never had a problem, but I spaced out the rubber snubbers from day one. 33x12.5x15 on the stock carrier. You can barely see the hockey puck in between the rubber snubber and the tub.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh. I see. That scares the crap out if me. I think that's gonna be my next project! And just get normal sized hockey pucks? (idk I they come in different sizes I anything) And after I do this, I could just keep the stock tire carrier on the tailgate if I keep 33s??
 

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Biggest issue I've read people have is it cracks the hinges
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
What about Treks offroad or even Orfab? Does your carrier have to be seated on the bumper? If you choose a body mounted carrier then that leaves the bumper open to your choice much like the bestop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have the SRC W/ tire carrier on the rear and i love it. Great piece and well built. I don't think you could go wrong if you went that route. It is pricey though. Hope this helps.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top