Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting 35's for my Jeep Saturday and don't want to hang that much weight on my tailgate. I know they say you can. The bumper and tire carrier are expensive and very heavy so I'm leaning towards the Teraflex or Rugged Ridge Sparticus carriers. My question is do Teraflex type do the job well?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Do 35" tires mounted on 17" wheels fit on the stock carrier and stock bumper?

The manual states the carrier can hold 85 pounds to include the spare.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I love my Teraflex, very well built and sturdy! The price is much better than a bumper mounted swing. Plus if you open your tailgate alot then the Teraflex is the way to go since you don't have a second latch to open. Plus you can accessorize the Teraflex like other bumper mounted swings. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
154 Posts
Got excited when I first saw the Rough Country, Spartacus carrier, loved the X form design, but that HUGE (amateurish) RC logo was a definite deal breaker. So Teraflex for me, it will certainly render the gate solid.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
So I'm getting 35's for my Jeep Saturday and don't want to hang that much weight on my tailgate. I know they say you can. The bumper and tire carrier are expensive and very heavy so I'm leaning towards the Teraflex or Rugged Ridge Sparticus carriers. My question is do Teraflex type do the job well?
There are a ton of people running the Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier and Adjustable Mount with success. It'll give you the strength you need to hold the heavier tires and the adjustable mount will work with most any backspacing/wheel. Let me know if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
473 Posts
TF for the win! Love the way it stops the gate at 90 degrees. Especially because the stock tail gate stopper sucks

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am still kicking this around myself. The TF looks like a great option.

If you go with an integrated tire carrier/bumper, I have been looking at the Expedition One, Ace Engineering and Poison Spyder.

·
Registered
710 Posts
TF for the win! Love the way it stops the gate at 90 degrees. Especially because the stock tail gate stopper sucks
Me, too. It hoolds my 285x75x17 Toyos on AEV rims, which are a tad heavier than a lot of 34s. Note, too, that the TF allows you to keep your right tow hook on HRs like mine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Got excited when I first saw the Rough Country, Spartacus carrier, loved the X form design, but that HUGE (amateurish) RC logo was a definite deal breaker. So Teraflex for me, it will certainly render the gate solid.
Meant Rugged Ridge and not Rough Country...

·
Registered
524 Posts
The Teraflex carrier and hinge is an excellent option. I have one and it holds my 35" Nitto Trail Grappler marvelously (one of the heaviest 35" tires that Jeepers run). Plus as some have mentioned, the 90 degree stop is very nice. I also like how the kit includes a third brake light relocation bracket (just make sure you keep the right tools handy in case you ever really do need to use your spare :thumb: ). AND if you ever want to add a rear bumper, you can pick essentially whichever one you want without having to worry about a tire carrier. It's a win-win-win-win!

I got this through Rockridge 4x4 and got a great deal, but I'm sure Ryan at Extreme Terrain (or any vendor on the forums) can hook you up!

Other than the Teraflex option, there are a few names that have been thrown around regarding other carriers. One carrier you won't find anywhere else is one produced by Jeep Karma, which allows you to use your stock bumper. They sell it because their main product is the Aqua Bumper, which allows you to use your stock bumper as a water reservoir (which I also have installed). Had I not already bought the Teraflex carrier I may have gone this route, but I love my set up as it is.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did the TeraFlex hinge replacement carrier as well. I also just found a CB antenna mount that goes in the screw holes near the hinges. The reason I did it was i was not ready for bumpers right when I did the lift and tires. Then 8 months later I changed them both hahaha.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replys. Seems like I have read that some of the Teraflex carries have developed cracks. Anything to that?

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Thanks for the replys. Seems like I have read that some of the Teraflex carries have developed cracks. Anything to that?
Wayalife forum showed the cracks but to make a long story short. Teraflex fixed it (the customer/and following units). However, my friend has 37's on his teraflex and although it didn't cause any tailgate damage, it did crack the line on the rear quarter panel near the passenger tail light.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The Teraflex carrier and hinge is an excellent option. I have one and it holds my 35" Nitto Trail Grappler marvelously (one of the heaviest 35" tires that Jeepers run). Plus as some have mentioned, the 90 degree stop is very nice. I also like how the kit includes a third brake light relocation bracket (just make sure you keep the right tools handy in case you ever really do need to use your spare :thumb: ). AND if you ever want to add a rear bumper, you can pick essentially whichever one you want without having to worry about a tire carrier. It's a win-win-win-win!

I got this through Rockridge 4x4 and got a great deal, but I'm sure Ryan at Extreme Terrain (or any vendor on the forums) can hook you up!

Other than the Teraflex option, there are a few names that have been thrown around regarding other carriers. One carrier you won't find anywhere else is one produced by Jeep Karma, which allows you to use your stock bumper. They sell it because their main product is the Aqua Bumper, which allows you to use your stock bumper as a water reservoir (which I also have installed). Had I not already bought the Teraflex carrier I may have gone this route, but I love my set up as it is.
That Jeep Karma one is interesting - know anyone running it?

·
Registered
489 Posts
The AEV carrier would be a better option than teraflex and it's only about $50 more expensive. The install is more involved however.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts