Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an affordable rear bumper/tire carrier combo.

Question: my 14' JKU has the "max tow" package with the factory hitch. I've been pulling a small travel trailer that's close to my max with zero issues. Should I only be looking for bumper options that allow for the factory hitch to remain or are the hitch setups in most replacement bumpers comparable in strength/reliability to factory?

Thanks all in advance!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't know if they are tow rated but the hitch that is built into the barricade rear bumpers is very strong I personally would not hesitate to hook anything my jeep is capable of pulling to it. You should check any that you look at tho and make sure they are tow rated or be comfortable enough with the way it is mounted and attached to the vehicle. I did not think about that when I bought mine and now I'm going to check and see if they are tow rated or not. Doesn't matter much to me but I'd still like to know. I'm sure others here will have better or more info for you soon tho.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
For the most strength and highest tow rating, you'll want a hitch that mounts to the frame. A bumper hitch will not likely match or exceed a frame hitch rating.

·
Administrator
16,991 Posts
Until recently I ran the Smitty XRC rear bumper. I chose that bumper because it used the 4 bolt holes on the cross member (like Factory) plus 4 bolt holes on the frame. I felt like it was stronger than factory. The bumper said 5,000 lbs but we all know that's not what dictates the 3500 pound rating of the JK.

I tow 3500 pounds 3-4 times a month and did so for almost 2 years with that bumper. No issues at all.
Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at the JCR rear bumpers. Look really nice and reviews are good. They allow you to retain your factory hitch which would be great but with a tire carrier they're kinda pricey. Any other options out there that someone might have some experience with?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have this same problem. Want a bumper that can retain the hitch. A lot of the built in ones are not tow rated and many don't even have places for the safety chains and wire harness. Surprisingly a lot of bumpers that can't be used with factory receiver. I think orfab has one at a decent price. Dont remember if it has a carrier. I like the JCR vanguard but like you said. $$$.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts