Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a rear bumper with a tire carrier without a receiver and can be installed with the factory hitch in place. Most of the ones I have looked at have a receiver or won't work with the hitch. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Would LOVE some answer to this. I tow with my jeep and don't want to ditch my receiver for a non rated bumper receiver.

·
Registered
631 Posts
According to their website the Smittybilt SRC is "Class III Hitch Rated" SRC Rear Bumpers - Smittybilt There are only a few aftermarket bumpers that are officially "tow rated" mostly for the cost of testing and legal reasons.

If you are dead set on keeping the factory hitch I am sure there are tire carriers out there that will not interfere with it.

If you find a tire carrier that you like but will not clear the factory hitch, then remove the interference courtesy of a grinder or cutting torch so that the factory hitch clears the new bumper/tire carrier. Some additional welding and paint may be required. :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I towed my log splitter with my Shittybilt bumper and it bent. Never again. And there are tabs for chains attached to reciever

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
There are other brands of rear bumpers with tire carriers that are tow-rated. Olympic makes one that is overly expensive but I haven't any experience with it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Maybe you could hang the chains on the D-rings
I thought about that too, but then you couldn't cross the chains and the chains may be too short to reach the D-rings. Could be solved with replacing the chains with longer ones, but it makes me wonder if the bumper was intended for that type of application if it doesn't have places for chains.

I'm in the same situation looking for a new bumper and tire carrier with hitch. My 33" tire hanging on the rear gate is causing the gate to not shut properly unless I give the gate a good slam. Only matter of time before something is really out of whack back there.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
For the second time in this post, on the side of the receiver, there are tabs that are used for hooking the chains. You don't need to use the shackles.

·
Registered
497 Posts
barricade products are very high quality, thats the rear carrier I am going to get

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a hyline rear bumper and tire carrier. Solid quality, and the carrier has a armature system to swing out with the tailgate, but keeps the weight on the bumper.
The pivot on the bumper has a grease fitting, d-ring shackle mounts, and a tow hitch :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a hyline rear bumper and tire carrier. Solid quality, and the carrier has a armature system to swing out with the tailgate, but keeps the weight on the bumper.
The pivot on the bumper has a grease fitting, d-ring shackle mounts, and a tow hitch :)
I am checking out that one, too. As the OP, I think the trailer hitch looks kind of strange welded onto the bumper. If I ever were to tow, I would prefer the tow hitch in the traditional location. I sent Hyline an email asking if the bumper is available without the hitch receptacle, but still haven't heard back.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dirtworx.... His bumpers have hitches with chain tabs. For legal reasons they aren't rated but id have ZERO hesitation to tow with mine. However he will gladly make the bumper w/o the receiver.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you are going to tow with the dirtworx (I tow a small trailer with mine) I recommend getting frame tie-ins for it. Lets the bumper tie into the same bolt holes that my previous hitch used. Otherwise most of the pulling force is on the rear cross member which is pretty wimpy. (He does have tabs that tie underneath the bumper to the frame, but the tie-ins complete the package)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dirtworx.... His bumpers have hitches with chain tabs. For legal reasons they aren't rated but id have ZERO hesitation to tow with mine. However he will gladly make the bumper w/o the receiver.
Those legal reasons are the same reasons you shouldn't tow with something that's not rated to tow. Ask your insurance company why? Probably best to ask them before you try to get them to cover you for something your aftermarket equipment wasn't rated to do.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts