Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the write up for a pair of rear bumpers that myself and a friend made a while ago. This is a follow up on the "Rear Bumper Project."

First we started with a trip to the local steel supplier to pick up the supplies:

heres a list of materials:
2"x4"x1/4" wall rectangular stock 55" long (can sub thinner material if you like but I like it beefy!)
approx 7" length of 2 1/2"x2 1/2"x1/4" wall stock for receiver (can sub a store bought receiver tube.. Northern has one for like $10)
approx 7" of 2 1/2"x1/4" thick flat stock for chain plate
approx 6" length of 3"x1/4" wall square stock (for mounting legs and receiver lip)
approx 18" of 3"x3/8" thick flat stock cut in half for the bumper mounting flanges
approx 18" of 2"x1/4" thick flat stock for bumper end caps
approx one foot of 2"x3/4" thick flat stock for clevis mounts
...and a bit of expanded metal to make a logo (we are dorks...but my friend has other stuff he can use the logo for.)

(everything is x2 btw)

we cut everything up and laid it out.

Cutting

Me doin the dirty work.

Both hard at work

Drilling the mounting brackets

Yes it's a two man job...

Driver's Side bracket all "mounted" up

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Passanger side's a bit easier

Lil bit rusty...

Holes all the way through for the shackel mounts and reveiver hitch

Day two begins

Just chillin'

Kinda starting to take shape

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tacked in place

One's almost done now on to #2

Chain Plate and Hitch

Hitch lip and end caps

Just look at those welds

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Drilling the shackels was a B****

Ends tacked on

Its getting there...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Friend's lil brother actually helping out

Cleanin it up

MmMmMm Bare Steel

Primer...

Doesn't it look good?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

And #2 (which we sold)

Thanks for lookin through. Sry to all of you DSL guys...

-Nick

·
Registered
339 Posts
LOOKS GREAT!!! Thats one of the best thought out, and well built bumpers made at home I have seen!!! Good thoughts on re-inforcement and mounting, all the little details have been thought out!!! Good Job!!

Joe

·
Registered
576 Posts
That is awesome, I am sending you a PM.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you all for the kind words (AND THE STICKY!!!)

if anyone is in the market for a bumper, rack, anything else, just give me a shout and give me an idea of what you are looking for.

thanks

Nick

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Very nice work my friend. Very nice.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Great project!!! That's the coolest home made bumper I've ever seen... Nice write up also.. I'm looking forward for my friend's new project in his new jeep, because we will be making a home made bumper and add some mods such as a Jeep bumper end, though we are still in the drawing board... Hope everthing will be just fine..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm in the process of designing a swing away to add onto the existing bumper. it should be a fun process.

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
6,805 Posts
I'm in the process of designing a swing away to add onto the existing bumper. it should be a fun process.
nick,

Pretty slick fab work. If you add a swing out you may think about some reinforcement to the frame. I put a garvin on my wifes jeep which came with some plate to weld to the frame.

It would go in front of your brackets on the opposite side of the cross member and weld directly to the frame. Then just bolt it up. Anything you can do to strengthen the mounting structure would be a plus for adding a larger spare on there. Those stock cross members really are pretty weak.

Excellent job and I commend you are for doing your own work :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mr. cliff,

yeah i had been taking that into account. I'm not quite sure how i am going to go about beefing it up yet. i may try to make some like PSCs...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Have you decided what you are going to do about a pivot for the tire carrier yet? I know a guy that makes them out of a 1750 lb trailer axle. He turns a piece of DOM to fit the bearings and puts a zerk on it. He also mills a really nice cap for the whole thing. (he also makes a 1000 lb version) He gets about $70 + shipping for the bigger one and $45 for the 1k lb version. If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you his info.

I just go mine yesterday, best looking set-up I could find.

Looks like this:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts