Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just partially installed a Broad Motion rear cam. According to instructions there are two hot wires one up front and one in back. I need to tie into a hot lead front or back. There is one ground wire at rear that needs to be grounded. My question, and please be specific because i am challenged, is where exactly do I ground the black wire. Please be specific and thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Just partially installed a Broad Motion rear cam. According to instructions there are two hot wires one up front and one in back. I need to tie into a hot lead front or back. There is one ground wire at rear that needs to be grounded. My question, and please be specific because i am challenged, is where exactly do I ground the black wire. Please be specific and thanks for any help.
Ok, so the way I wired mine.
Remove the black plastic interior trim on the right rear corner of your interior.
Under that, up in the right rear corner you will see where the wiring harness passes through the tub down towards the taillight. You can pick up the hot wire for the reverse lights there, as well as the black ground wire.
If I remember right, the reverse light power wire is white with grey strip.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so the way I wired mine.
Remove the black plastic interior trim on the right rear corner of your interior.
Under that, up in the right rear corner you will see where the wiring harness passes through the tub down towards the taillight. You can pick up the hot wire for the reverse lights there, as well as the black ground wire.
If I remember right, the reverse light power wire is white with grey strip.
And you tied the black ground to the black wire? I ran the black to the tie down bolt but I don’t think it seems good enough. Thank you

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
And you tied the black ground to the black wire? I ran the black to the tie down bolt but I don’t think it seems good enough. Thank you
I used the black ground wire, up where I picked up the reverse feed wire..
A bolt should work as well if the paint is cleaned from the bolt, and you have a really good ground

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the black ground wire, up where I picked up the reverse feed wire..
A bolt should work as well if the paint is cleaned from the bolt, and you have a really good ground
I don’t think it’s grounded right so I may change it. To be clear I can tap into the gray why for hot and the black wire for ground right? I’m waiting for my Kenwood receiver to come in but I have everything installed for the brand motion rearview camera except the wiring connections. I’m a total newbie with electronics but using the virus downtime to work on the jeep a bit instead of paying someone toInstall it. Did you use those cabinet connections for the wires I think that’s my best bet because I’m not comfortable with the solder iron

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I don’t think it’s grounded right so I may change it. To be clear I can tap into the gray why for hot and the black wire for ground right? I’m waiting for my Kenwood receiver to come in but I have everything installed for the brand motion rearview camera except the wiring connections. I’m a total newbie with electronics but using the virus downtime to work on the jeep a bit instead of paying someone toInstall it. Did you use those cabinet connections for the wires I think that’s my best bet because I’m not comfortable with the solder iron
I'm pretty sure it was the white wire with grey stripe, I would check it with a test light.
Here is a good solution if you're not comfortable with soldering.
Click Here

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, just ordered the tap it’s and will do both wires when I receive them. Only connection up front will be video wire into stereo then right?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Thanks, just ordered the tap it’s and will do both wires when I receive them. Only connection up front will be video wire into stereo then right?
Correct.
Your power and ground will come from those two taps you will make in the rear.
Just tape up and secure the red wire in the front( I just cut mine back and left about 1" incase I ever reused the harness for something else), and plug the RCA plug into the adapter for your radio.
Are you activating the b/u cam in your radio with Jscan, or some other way?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told from a rep at brand motion that it doesn’t need to be flashed because it’s a aftermarket headunit. If that’s incorrect dealer will do it for 115

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I was told from a rep at brand motion that it doesn’t need to be flashed because it’s a aftermarket headunit. If that’s incorrect dealer will do it for 115
Ok, sorry, I did not know you had an aftermarket head.
You could wire your cam to the power wire in front, instead of the b/u circuit, and have access to the cam anytime you wanted.
Pretty sure you can activate the cam with an aftermarket head anytime

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I ordered a Kenwood Excelon but where would I tie the cam red wire to up front?
The power accessory port under the heater control on the right hand side.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Gotcha that cigarette looking outlet. Black still at rear as discussed in black reverse wire ground
No, the black is the ground.
I don't remember what color the power wire ir there.
Blue maybe? Then you would set your fuse in the fusebox so it was powered only with the ignition switch on.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two questions if I use this in the front would I be done assuming I ground in rear...in other words no fuse box changes.

can I use the 12 volt in the rear deck near the hatch or is that always on? Thanks again you are really knowledgeable

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ok, the front accessory socket has a setting in the fuse box, where you can have it powered all the time, or only when the ignition is on. if you were to take the power from there, you would set the fuse to the "only on with key" position Then if your radio has a setting for camera always on, which I happen to think is a waste of time, you could enable it from the head any time you wanted. The fuse box change is simple, just pull fuse out of one slot, and move it over. You would still have to ground in back, unless your harness has both a red and black wire in front as well.

To use it strictly as a B/U cam, hook it up the way we talked about before, power from white/grey wire in back, and ground to black wire in back.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You're welcome.
Good luck with your project, and stay safe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts