Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm developing a rear view camera bracket that would install between the rear wheel and wheel mount. Gauging interest at this time. First proto is shown. Second proto should be ready tomorrow and will have a hole in the center as well as moving the camera up a bit. Final product will likely be powder coated. Since cameras are different we may leave the mount area without holes so buyers can mount any camera by drilling a few holes. The bracket can be rotated to have the camera in any of the 5 openings in a wheel. What do you think? Any improvements we can make? What price would you pay? Should we include a camera?

Without the wheel installed.
image-1227721176.jpg

See the little camera peeking out?
image-1713789426.jpg

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
In playing around with such a design myself, IMHO, you need to offer a bit more in adjustment. The "hole" in the various wheels aren't all exactly the same.

You need to allow adjustment up and down for the bracket design to be usable for the most number of potential customers. From my calculations, you need to offer between 2.5" and 5.5" from the top surface of the stock spare tire carrier

You also need to allow adjustment in and out. From my calculations, you need to offer between 1" and 2" out from the front surface of the stock spare tire carrier. Your design, that offers no such offset at all, might leave the camera too far sunken down into the wheel to get good "peripheral vision" for many cameras.

Though, I think you are onto something good here, and encourage you to work on refining your design. :thumb:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hmm.... Looks like the same camera that I have. Rather than running it through to the spare tire mount, I removed my passenger side tail light, tapped into the reverse light for power (so it only gets power when I'm in reverse), and mounted the camera underneath:

..works just fine for me:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Same camera that I have. I wish it didn't have the parking assist lines. My Pioneer has them as well and you can move them around to suit you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hmm.... Looks like the same camera that I have. Rather than running it through to the spare tire mount, I removed my passenger side tail light, tapped into the reverse light for power (so it only gets power when I'm in reverse), and mounted the camera underneath:

..works just fine for me:
I like that, under the light. How difficult is it to run the wiring from the rear to the front?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I like that, under the light. How difficult is it to run the wiring from the rear to the front?
Piece of cake! I ran it behind the dash and under the carpet; zip-tied to the other wires that run along the pass. side of the Jeep. The power connection was even easier since I only had to tap into the reverse light wires.

All in all, I spent more time mounting the camera to the tail light (had to slightly trim the mounting plate) and sealing things up than I did running the wires and connecting it to my head unit. :thumb:

·
Registered
448 Posts
So did anyone source a place for the just connector that goes on the back of the radio with a pig tail for video in at a cheap price?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I made something similar. Cut it out of an old stop sign then plastidipped it.

Had to get the angle just right, but it came out nice.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I went with a Kenwood camera because it had adjustable guide lines, and supports multiple views (including two split screen modes).

I went thru a few revisions of my hybrid bracket design. The last of which was to add the springs so that the camera would have some "give" if I happen to hit it with the tire. Here is what it ended up looking like:

I routed the camera wire thru the "mysterious" extra grommet and hole. Even though the hole edges were rounded over and smooth, I still put the camera wire thru a plastic conduit. From there, I snaked the wire thru the fabric conduit with the other, already existing, wires. Here is what that ended up looking like:

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I went with a Kenwood camera because it had adjustable guide lines, and supports multiple views (including two split screen modes).

I went thru a few revisions of my hybrid bracket design. The last of which was to add the springs so that the camera would have some "give" if I happen to hit it with the tire. Here is what it ended up looking like:

I routed the camera wire thru the "mysterious" extra grommet and hole. Even though the hole edges were rounded over and smooth, I still put the camera wire thru a plastic conduit. From there, I snaked the wire thru the fabric conduit with the other, already existing, wires. Here is what that ended up looking like:
Digging up an old thread... I tried to PM you Walt, but your box is full... is this bracket something you produce for others or just for yourself?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Digging up an old thread... I tried to PM you Walt, but your box is full... is this bracket something you produce for others or just for yourself?
Its just the last of a few prototypes I built for my own use.

If I did it for others, I would need to charge around $10K each. :D

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Its just the last of a few prototypes I built for my own use.

If I did it for others, I would need to charge around $10K each. :D
Kinda figured as much... thanks

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Has anyone tried this bracket? Any comments on it? Maximus-3 Backup Camera Bracket
With the camera/light shown, I would think it might have problems fitting between the spokes of a wheel.

If I had it to do again, with the new solutions available, I would go with the bracket from Raxiom. Its designed to use many of the generic, low cost, "bullet" shaped cameras available on the market.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts