Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone help me out here. I stumbled upon a thread or product around here that I am not able to find again.

I found a harness that plugged into the factory 430 RBZ WITHOUT having a lockpick my gig v5 that had a power wire and video input connected to the harness. I am aware I would have to buy a backup camera myself, connect it and have the dealer flash it.

Since I do not have the NAV and I will never watch DVDs while moving, having the lock pick for just the backup cam seems like a waste. I wouldnt want to do a front facing camera either.

If I could get this harness and pay the dealer half the price of a lockpick, I would still come out ahead. Plus, I have a contact at the dealer that may be able to do it for pretty cheap.

Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
This is like the AEV Backup Camera kit. Comes with a module you plug in the OBD port (like, but not, a ProCal), which eliminates the need of having to go to the dealer for a flash. At least this is for the 430N radio/NAV systems. Not sure if you don't have that unit.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I essentially want this without the flash module. Ideas?
You would need to buy all the pieces, separately, except not the flash module.

There are several threads here that have all such details (search for a title containing "camera").

For example, start with a bracket like this one ( link ), add a low cost "bullet" camera from a source like Amazon, and get the 22-pin to RCA cable.

·
Registered
359 Posts

There are several threads here that have all such details (search for a title containing "camera").

For example, start with a bracket like this one ( link ), add a low cost "bullet" camera from a source like Amazon, and get the 22-pin to RCA cable.
I have this exact set up with my 430N.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I understand all of that. What I am asking is help locating said harness that's compatible with my 2016. 430 RBZ Non Nav.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I understand all of that. What I am asking is help locating said harness that's compatible with my 2016. 430 RBZ Non Nav.
Are you stuck on the "430 RBZ Non Nav" part? Don't be. The harness is the same for all Wrangler radios with an LCD (which means, only the 130/130S is different).

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
So you're looking for this?

Amazon.com: PAC CHYRVD Rear Video Retention Cable For Select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles 2008-2012: Car Electronics

that's what I plugged in to the back of my 430 in order to add the camera (after the dealer flash)
That's actually backward from what's truly required, but can work.

That cable is for using the factory camera with an aftermarket headunit. What's needed is a cable for using an aftermarket camera with the factory headunit.

Though, the conversion can be done with a simply RCA female to RCA female adapter, because it already has both the male and the female 22-pin connectors.

·
Nature Photog and Jeeper
2,981 Posts

That cable is for using the factory camera with an aftermarket headunit. What's needed is a cable for using an aftermarket camera with the factory headunit.

Though, the conversion can be done with a simply RCA female to RCA female adapter, because it already has both the male and the female 22-pin connectors.
well - I know it works - its how my backup camera is connected :p

and back in the day - it was what people here told me to buy

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you stuck on the "430 RBZ Non Nav" part? Don't be. The harness is the same for all Wrangler radios with an LCD (which means, only the 130/130S is different).
I did some comments that the 430 Non Nav may not work with some harness connectors that are 430 Nav. In the referenced Amazon link, someone said it does not work for Non Nav (now granted thats just Amazon)

So you're looking for this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XBNDY

that's what I plugged in to the back of my 430 in order to add the camera (after the dealer flash)
That is what I was looking for. How does that work? I see a male and female harness plug. I assume you use the female plug into the back of the radio. Where did you provide power to the camera?

Do you know of a harness that I referenced in the OP?

well - I know it works - its how my backup camera is connected :p

and back in the day - it was what people here told me to buy
Can you give me a little more insight on how you installed it? And do you have the Non Nav? (Sorry if I asked that already)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Can someone confirm is this harness will work with RBZ 430 Non Nav and 2016 Auto? Provided I get my own camera, my own mount, and get the dealer to flash.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XBNDY
Again, it will work, but its the reverse of what you want (gender wise).

You'll need to get RCA adapter to change the males to females.

You'll be OK with the 22-pins since it comes with both genders (just use the "other" one).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again, it will work, but its the reverse of what you want (gender wise).

You'll need to get RCA adapter to change the males to females.

You'll be OK with the 22-pins since it comes with both genders (just use the "other" one).
My question is, what controls the power of the camera? It seems like to me the lockpick and brand motions special harness activates the camera power once a reverse signal is received. This way, I would have to provide camera power from another source and it would always be powered?

I can get a female to female coupler for the RCAs. No big deal.

·
Registered
393 Posts
At first I was thinking WaltA was confusing the situation but now I know what he means.
The RCA connector for the camera is the wrong gender. But that's the easy part. The gender bender connector is less than a coupla bucks.
That PAC harness is good cause it also includes the "hard part" which is the mate to the back of the HU.

My suggestion is to ask about the flash while getting an oil change. Dealers usually don't mind doing the computer stuff for free as long as their getting paid for something. That's how I did it.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
My question is, what controls the power of the camera? It seems like to me the lockpick and brand motions special harness activates the camera power once a reverse signal is received. This way, I would have to provide camera power from another source and it would always be powered?
Many of us, including myself, pull power from the backup light power feed, which is located in the main front-to-back wiring harness. Its a white with a lt gray (silver) stripe.

This way, the camera is powered only when in reverse.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
At first I was thinking WaltA was confusing the situation but now I know what he means.
The RCA connector for the camera is the wrong gender. But that's the easy part. The gender bender connector is less than a coupla bucks.
Someone makes the correct cable, with all the correct gender connectors. I know. I bought one two+ years ago. Unfortunately, I can't seem to remember where. :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Someone makes the correct cable, with all the correct gender connectors. I know. I bought one two+ years ago. Unfortunately, I can't seem to remember where. :D
That I did not know. I've only ever seen reference to the PAC harness, and once a link to just the connector and pins.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many of us, including myself, pull power from the backup light power feed, which is located in the main front-to-back wiring harness. Its a white with a lt gray (silver) stripe.

This way, the camera is powered only when in reverse.
Ah, see this is great information. You could've said that 4 posts ago. :) Where is said harness located?

Well, you need to find it. I called the dealers. Cheapest quote I got to flash was $115. So, I figured with the mounting bracket, camera, and harness, I am looking at around $220 all said and done.

·
Nature Photog and Jeeper
2,981 Posts
Ah yes - I had to use a double ended female RCA coupler to connect my camera to said harness - but that's cheap (as already pointed out)

as for power for the camera - Walt already touched on it - there is a wire bundle running down the passenger side to the tail lights (behind the subwoofer if you have one like I do) that is where I tapped in to the backup circuit for power so it only comes on when I'm in reverse.

wire were run through the drain plug in the bottom of the jack storage compartment and through the back of the bumper (mine is installed in the rear bumper right above my trailer hitch receiver)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts