Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bride's '15 JK Sahara has virtually no visibility through the rear view mirror. Third party spare tire mount with spare plus bike rack blocks at least 40% of field of vision.

I would like to install rear facing camera and use a display that is the rear view mirror. Ideally, this would have a switch that allows the "mirror" to function as a mirror (most likely if you want see something inside the vehicle - we removed the back seat) or as a monitor for the cam system.

I saw something like this while in line at the NAPA store a year or two ago. Is this a pipe dream or does anyone have experience with this.

I have seen the thread on the backup cam activation. https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/...p-camera-1521817.html?highlight=backup+camera

Thanks in advance. H4B

·
Registered
68 Posts
These are indeed a reality. My wife's 2012 GMC has a factory backup cam viewed in the rear view mirror. Google backup camera rear view mirror monitor and you will find a bunch of aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
If you were to peruse eBay and other online sellers, you will find a number of products available at various quality levels ranging from poor to good.

This should be a high quality, easy to integrate solution (with a price to match):

https://www.brandmotion.com/jeep-wr...th-mirror-display-2007-current-9002-8836.html

Brandmotion has been making a number of camera systems specifically for the Wrangler JK for years that include the camera (with optional grid lines or without), a bracket that allows centered mounting in the spare tire, necessary wiring harnesses, and options to integrate with an OEM nav radio or the replacement rearview mirror shown in the link.

You can probably find rearview mirrors available where the entire mirror acts as a monitor with a larger view, but they will probably fall into the "lower quality" category, and may not mount exactly like the OEM dimming mirror that came with the Jeep will.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What Jeep needs to do badly with the wrangler is a setup like GM is starting to proliferate among their vehicles.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
There are at least a few threads show what others, including myself, have done to replace the OEM mirror. I have the links saved on my desktop but won’t be back home for another week.
Myself, I bought a mirror/ monitor off Amazon that is made to clip over stock mirror, then made a mounting plate to clip it to instead of the mirror. Camera choices are plentiful but be warned if you go too wide angle anything passed a few car lengths away looks tiny so judging distance sucks. I currently have a 30* camera from Tadi Brothers but think I need wider.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I got a replacement mirror monitor off of amazon. Totally relaxes the stock mirror. Has two Visio inputs. You can use it as a normal mirror or select a video input. I have one for the rear view camera and one for the front view camera. This is the one I got:
BOYO VTW73M 7.3" OE Style Rear View Mirror Monitor with Built-In WIFI Miracast.

I use a small round camera off of Amazon for the cameras. The rear view is mounted in the center of the spare tire on a small bracket. Don't have a center cap.

The camera and mirror system works great for me. I had the same problem you have and this solved it. I went through about half a dozen different screens before I found this one that works the best and looks stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts