Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw someone on another forum do this and thought it would be worth a shot and I figured I'd make a write up for wranglerforum in the process. This is my first write up so I'll do my best haha.

I took a 3/4" sheet of plywood and cut it to fit around the roll bars in the back and still fit with the back seats up. Stapled some indoor/outdoor carpet to it. And constructed a mount to attach to the hard top bolts. It works great and I wanted to wait until after my first camping trip in the jeep to post this lol.

If anyone else out there is looking to do the same you'll need:

(1) 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood
(2) 8 foot 2x4's
(4) Brackets, that you'll need to cut, I used a hacksaw
(6) Brackets, that you'll need to cut for the hardtop
(4) 2 1/2" Brackets needed to mount the center support
An assorted amount of wood screws 1/2", 1", etc.

I used an outline I found online to cut the sheet of plywood, Ill post a picture of it. Then I measured the length of where I wanted to mount the 2x4 to the hardtop with the brackets. I aligned the cut 2x4 up and marked where to mount the brackets to the 2x4 and then screwed the brackets on. You'll have to cut the brackets down a few inches but once you get them on you can unscrew the hardtop screws and slide the bracket hole over the existing hole and screw the brackets down.

Now after you install the 2x4 braces you'll need to pop one end of the hardtop off. You need to pretty much take every bolt out like you were going to remove the hardtop except for the 3 hardtop screws on one side. Lift the hardtop up out of its mounting place on the other side and that will give you room to slide the plywood shelf in place.

With the shelf in you'll then need to attach the center brace. Just measure and cut the second 2x4 and I used a small jack to hold the 2x4 in place to attach the brackets. Once you attach all the brackets to the brace, attach the cut brackets to the plywood and the 2x4 mounted to the hardtop.

And thats pretty much it. I dont get any sag and it can hold my tool boxes and cooler with no problem. I have plenty of room to fit a full air mattress in the jeep with the back seats down and the front seats moved up just enough so that the headrests wont fold down to the floor. Im actually looking at getting a 3" foam mattress to replace the air mattress that I'll just cut to fit but for now the air mattress worked just fine. My girlfriend and I camped down at Oregon Inlet and spent the weekend driving off-road up to the NC/VA border on the beach, fishing, and visiting the some landmarks. Id definitely recommend this to anyone looking for some extra storage space, looking to camp in the jeep, or just looking for some privacy to store things in the back.

And thanks to "chasinternet" from another forum for the write up!

Heres the link to the pictures... For some reason it wouldn't let me post up pictures like I usually do so I sent them to photobucket.

www.photobucket.com/Jeepjkshelf

·
Registered
571 Posts
i think there's 6 inches of room behind the rear seatback and my hardtop rear window. That would be one tiny shelf. haha

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Really nice work! I've been thinking about doing something similar

·
Registered
1 Posts
cargo shelf plus privacy

bought plywood and cut. painted. attached carpet. removed top to install. Works with top on or top off. Provides privacy, security by locking tailgate and helps manage storage. cost less than $50

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts