Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the net and found a couple write ups about pulling a spring out; It sounds easy enough. Any tips, tricks or gotchas to worry about?

I only need to pull out the driver's side rear coil, and want to do this in my driveway if I can.

Backstory: I installed Air-Lift airbags into my rear coils for a boost when towing my boat or packing heavy. Had these for years on my last Jeep and they worked great for my use. I installed them on my new 2015 JKU by stuffing them thru the coil when deflated; connecting them; then setting the Jeep down and inflating to seat the bags.

Unfortunately, the air tube recently popped off the barbed fitting on one of the bags. (cheap hose clips which I must have distorted when putting it on).

The airline runs thru the hole in the center of the upper coil seat, then down in to the bag inside the coil. There is no way I can get to it or be able to clamp it if I did manage to get the tube back on the barb without pulling the coil out.

My understanding is that I need to:

1. Jack up the rear end (by the axle), then put jack stands under the frame
2. slightly lower the axle (still on the jack)
3. Disconnect the sway bar linkage (both sides I am assuming?)
4. Unbolt the brake line and e-brake cable retainer brackets
4. Disconnect the lower end of the shock absorber
5. Continue to lower the axle until the coil is free.

Questions:

Do I need to disconnect the control arm(s) or track bar?

Since I am only pulling one side, can I put something under the other side wheel to flex the axle? would this make it easier?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
yup you got it. no need to disconnect control arms or track bar but if you want you can loosen up the track bar. also yes you can just so one side not both.

Reactions: notdeankane

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
You can remove the tires for more sag with less lift.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I recently installed a 2.5" lift and was able to replace all the coil springs without a spring compressor by doing what you described above. The only watch out I'd add is that you might need to disconnect the parking brake cables. Mine got too tight to allow the axle to droop fully.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'd also suggest disconnecting the breather hose. Even though you're lowering the drivers side, the axle still may drop enough to put tension on the hose. I made this mistake installing lift coils and pulled the top of the house away from whatever it was connected to.

Reactions: notdeankane

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the tips! This project proved pretty straight forward. Fortunately the previous owner had lengthened the brake lines, vent line, etc. (it seems); Dropping the axle did not come close to any of those getting tight.

1. jacked up the Jeep by the rear diff.
2. Put jack stands under the frame forward of the control arms and rested the Jeep on them.
3. removed the wheels
4. lowered the axle slightly on the jack
6. disconnected the track bar from the axle
7. disconnected both sides of of the sway bar
8. disconnected the lower shock bolt
9. carefully lowered the axle until the driver's side coil was free
10. re-attached my air bag line
11. re-assembled.

Took about an hour, but I was taking my time..I wanted neatly cable tie the airline run back to the schrader valve and also wasted time looking for a 10mm socket, which I ended up not needing :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts