Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was bored today and I had a set of 60 rear coils that I got for free so today I decide I would swap them out. Netted 1/4" height increase in the rear. I am glad they were free lol. It was easy and I came up with a new way to make coil compressors. I used two lengths of chain and I looped them around the coil opposite each other and used a bolt and nut to secure them. I did it while the weight of the jeep was on the coils compressing them and when I dropped the axle the coils could not expand so I did not have to drop the axle very far. Prior to jacking up the jeep I compressed the new springs by setting them one at a time on my motorcycle jack and placing it under the bumper of my jeep and compressed them that way and hooked up the chains. it made a very simple safe coil compressor.
Was the 1/4" worth the hour it took to swap the coils? probably not but at least now I know what the difference between -58 and -60 coils are.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did it yesterday so have not put any load in it yet, but did drive it about 10 miles and no difference at all in feel in normal driving. I doubt there will be much difference loaded either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Changing out 57s for 60s - for me the 1/4" will be fine but I was hoping for a bit more support when loaded with camping stuff - I guess I'll find out.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I replied to this on a different forum, but I noticed a bit more difference from 58 to 60 on mine, more like 3/8-1/2". However, this was after I had installed my AEV bumpers, so the stiffer springs may handle the wight better, thus making the difference look bigger.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replied to this on a different forum, but I noticed a bit more difference from 58 to 60 on mine, more like 3/8-1/2". However, this was after I had installed my AEV bumpers, so the stiffer springs may handle the wight better, thus making the difference look bigger.
what is your measurements from the ground to the bottom edge of your flares?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does anyone have a set of 60 rear coils for a 2010 JKU? I have 58s and would like to get that extra 1/2 since I'm going to be doing some work under the car in the near future anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts