Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on a rear 2014 JKU Sport D44 and I was wondering what the difference was between the housings on the Sport and Rubicon. I know about the locker and the different axle spline counts, but I also saw someone say the Sport has the same length right/left axle shafts while the rubi didn't.

The idea is to eventually get a set of JKU axles for the TJ to make it a little wider, have disk brakes all around, and accept 5x5 axles while having easier to find off the shelf replacement parts.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Different axle shaft lengths due to the design of the rubi locker. Obviously 32 spline versus 30. I have also read(I can't validate this) that the rubi carrier bearings are a different size.

Sports are equal length and totally interchangeable side to side....only have to carry one spare that way!! :)

Also, some folks make lockers/carriers that are set up for a 35 spline axle. Don't know how compatible that is with a rubi axle if the above information about the carrier bearings is true.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Yes, a TJ D44 would be hard to find as thery were only in the Rubicon. While all the JKs have D44s in the rear, they are 5 inches longer, the mounting brackets would have to be changed, and apparently the drive shaft connection is different. You already mentioned the wheel lug pattern. Of course unless you changed the front as well you would have a weird stance and different wheel bolt patterns between front and rear.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yes, a TJ D44 would be hard to find as thery were only in the Rubicon. While all the JKs have D44s in the rear, they are 5 inches longer, the mounting brackets would have to be changed, and apparently the drive shaft connection is different. You already mentioned the wheel lug pattern. Of course unless you changed the front as well you would have a weird stance and different wheel bolt patterns between front and rear.
D44 was optional on the TJ Sport and Sahara models. I have one in my RHD Sport.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! So in other words, the JKU Sport and Rubicon axle housings are completely different and the internal parts are not interchangeable... nice! It'd have been nice if they just gave them different names to make the search easier.

Besides the benefit of having the same length axle shafts, would it be worth it to upgrade a Sport version with larger intervals vice just holding out for a Rubicon version? I'm sure with aftermarket parts you can match or exceed the Rubicon strength, but would it be worth the cost. I've been to Moab several times and wheeled the mtns in Colorado, but mostly it's a daily driver.

Yes, a TJ D44 would be hard to find as thery were only in the Rubicon.
My TJ Sport has the upgraded rear D44, but I was wanting to upgrade both ends to the newer JK axles to get the benefits I listed above. I already have wheel spacers to fit my tires, so adding a couple inches on each side would be okay.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Thanks for the replies! So in other words, the JKU Sport and Rubicon axle housings are completely different and the internal parts are not interchangeable... nice! It'd have been nice if they just gave them different names to make the search easier.

Besides the benefit of having the same length axle shafts, would it be worth it to upgrade a Sport version with larger intervals vice just holding out for a Rubicon version? I'm sure with aftermarket parts you can match or exceed the Rubicon strength, but would it be worth the cost. I've been to Moab several times and wheeled the mtns in Colorado, but mostly it's a daily driver.
Well my sport rear has 4.56 yukon gears, Eaton E locker and 30 spline Revolution 4340 axle shafts. Id venture to say it as strong as any stock Rubi axle. Might be able to find a takeoff rubi cheaper than what I have in it. (approx $1500) which would make it worth it imo.

Plus my axle shafts have an unlimited lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
501 Posts
D44 was optional on the TJ Sport and Sahara models. I have one in my RHD Sport.
And I think the D44 was standard in the LJ's. Though that doesn't make them any less rare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts