Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my rear drums/shoes/hardware on my 89 Yj with Dana 35 rear. THe right rear drum was toast, so i just did the whole brake setup... With the wheels and drums off, the axle seems to drag when you spin in. It isnt a consistent drag, it spins freely about 270 degrees, but then drags for a part of the turn. I did notice my right rear brake backing plate seems to be bent out at the bottom. Like I said, this is without the wheels/drums on, so its not the brakes dragging.

Is the rear axle supposed to spin completely or should it have that drag for a part of the rotation? If this is not normal, what could it be? Bent axle shaft?

I put everything back together and took it for a drive. Seems to drive fine. I have only had it for about 6 months, and I only have vibrations between 40-45 mph, no vibes above or below that speed.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
If you want to spend the time jack take of wheel and disco the DS and see what it does just spining the rea. That will help you isolate it. IMHO it should spin freely throughout the whole rotation.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want to spend the time jack take of wheel and disco the DS and see what it does just spining the rea. That will help you isolate it. IMHO it should spin freely throughout the whole rotation.
Drive shaft wasnt turning when i rotated the right rear wheel, so i dont think disconnecting it would have any effect...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts