Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 JK Willys Wheeler W: Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front, 3.73 gears, Rock Rails, BFG Mud Terrains
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have her in the shop and they are quoting $1800 to replace everything. That sounds crazy to me, is that normal?

·
Registered
744 Posts
What gears/axle are you running? I know a friend of mines shop would come in quite a bit lower than that on a properly done rebuild. I may have an alternative idea as well that would come in at a lower cost.

·
Registered
2018 JK Willys Wheeler W: Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front, 3.73 gears, Rock Rails, BFG Mud Terrains
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running stock axle and I think 3.75 gears. I'll take any suggestions for alternatives that can save some cash...

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm running stock axle and I think 3.75 gears. I'll take any suggestions for alternatives that can save some cash...
On the back of the differential look and see if the drain plug is round and rubber or a metal hex key plug.... that will tell us if it is a dana 35 or dana 44. I'm guessing you have a dana 35. and 3.73 gears. There is also a tag on the differential that will say what the gear ratio is (it's safe to assume it has not been regard).

You can get a plug and play replacement axle for a couple hundred dollars MAX. you could have a ford 8.8 installed which is much much stronger for about 1000-1200. Rebuilding the current axle is a waste of money. You can find a used 35 for around 200-250 without even deal hunting. If you aren't comfortable doing the swap yourself, labor will run maybe another 200?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep 35 and 3.75. I was thinking about the Ford 8.8. Does anyone know a shop that can put something in like that?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I'm getting a ford 8.8, front and rear regear to 4.88, front chromoly axle shafts, and an iron rock steering system all done including install for 2450...goes in friday and all done same day which is nice.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting a ford 8.8, front and rear regear to 4.88, front chromoly axle shafts, and an iron rock steering system all done including install for 2450...goes in friday and all done same day which is nice.
Wow... Where? I'm in the process of calling around for quotes...

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I'll shoot you a PM...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts