Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help or some good adivice,I have a dana 35 with 4:11 going to keep it stock it was making a bad nose so I tore it all down and all braring and spider gears looks good pretty much all interior parts looks good except the ring gear and carrier.The ring gear has 2 broke teeth and carrier was pretty rought on the driver side inside.Tathought I would re_uesd everthing except the ring gear and carrier can you this buy a ring gear and its calls for a 75054X carrier or will eny 1995 jeep wangler carrier work its a N0N-ABS.THANKS FOR ENY HELP OR ADVICE AND WHAT WOULD YOU DO.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
You can only replace the ring and pinion as a set you can not just replace the ring gear.

All YJ's 94 and up use an ABS carrier even if the jeep does not have ABS.

You can use a non ABS carrier but that also changes the spider gears so you will need non ABS spider gears.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
AND you will need ADVANCED skill/ tools to set up the gears properly... IE buy a complete used replacement axle or pay a professional to set up your new gears.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,956 Posts
AND you will need ADVANCED skill/ tools to set up the gears properly... IE buy a complete used replacement axle or pay a professional to set up your new gears.
Great Point!

I'll try almost anything myself, but stopped short on my re-gear, changing carrier, preload, and shims, etc. Spent the time finding a shop I could trust and invested in their experience instead of buying tools and re-buying parts after I most likely would have had it wrong the first time.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Setting up gears is not that hard but it is tedious and you need to have a good understanding of what you are doing. If you read up enough and watch some videos and feel confident about the job you can buy most the tools you will need for less than $300. Harbor freight dial indicator and stand, digital caliper or micrometer, inch pound beam torque wrench and big dead blow hammer.

You will be better off finding a used rear axle though it will probably be cheaper anyways.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
Setting up gears is not that hard but it is tedious and you need to have a good understanding of what you are doing. If you read up enough and watch some videos and feel confident about the job you can buy most the tools you will need for less than $300. Harbor freight dial indicator and stand, digital caliper or micrometer, inch pound beam torque wrench and big dead blow hammer.

You will be better off finding a used rear axle though it will probably be cheaper anyways.
I've been considering regearing my D30 but all that I've read tells me that I'll need a case spreader. I don't have any problem buying a dial indicator & stand, (I have the other tools) but when I checked the price of a case spreader, it looks like it'll be cheaper just to farm the regear out to someone that already has all the correct tools. I have a good D35 in 4:10 to install, but I'm not too sure about the D30 that came with it. I had considered pulling the ring & pinion and the case from the questionable axle assembly and installing it myself in my current D30 that I know to be in excellent condition.

I have the time, patience, a FSM and UTUBE, I just need to find a deal on a case spreader or a mechanic that I trust.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've been considering regearing my D30 but all that I've read tells me that I'll need a case spreader. I don't have any problem buying a dial indicator & stand, (I have the other tools) but when I checked the price of a case spreader, it looks like it'll be cheaper just to farm the regear out to someone that already has all the correct tools. I have a good D35 in 4:10 to install, but I'm not too sure about the D30 that came with it. I had considered pulling the ring & pinion and the case from the questionable axle assembly and installing it myself in my current D30 that I know to be in excellent condition.

I have the time, patience, a FSM and UTUBE, I just need to find a deal on a case spreader or a mechanic that I trust.

Good Luck, L.M.

You dont need a case spreader the D30's did not have much preload from the factory they almost fall out once you take the bearing caps off. When you set the backlash just make sure the carrier fits tight but no too tight. It should take some smacking with a dead blow to drive it into the case but it should drive in after a couple of good whacks. If the carrier dont want to drop in with a few good whacks with a dead blow then it is too tight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts