Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing my rear diff cover. I stopped by the dearler to ask how much fliuid it takes and the service guy said a little over 2 quarts. I picked up everything from them, probably paid a little more, I was there and its Mopar. So i swithced everything out, no issues. so I filled it 2 quarts and my be an 1/8 more. So I took the old fluid (only 10K on it) and it barely filled the 2 empty quart containers. So being a little paranoid, I opend the small fill / check screw ( i bought the AEV and it has a fill at the top and 2 check screws) and some cam out. My Question is, is a little over 2 quarts OK?

Also, having only 10K miles and offroaded 2x, once in some mud, the magnetic drain plug has slugde on it, I thought that was strange, is that normal?

Thanks - Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Aftermarket covers can change the capacity.

Your splitting hairs here. If the AEV cover has a check screw, your good.

You gotta be pretty low for it to cause issues.

If your too full it'll ooze out the breather tube. A little messy, but no harm.

·
Administrator
12,481 Posts
I usually fill till its just at the bottom of the check plug or a little overflows the hole..

·
Registered
293 Posts
A little sludge maybe from some water fording over the breather or possibly minor condensation. As long as it didn't drain like a melted chocolate hot fudge sundae you are ok.

Now for some reason im hungry. :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
It looks like you did it right, by looking at pic the check plug you referred to looks to be in line with the bottom of axle tube. That's were it needs to be. If you had a little oil flow out that's good . Really no matter what brand cover one uses the oil level should be at or a tad above the bottom of axle tube.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I appreciate it.

The fluid itself, when I drained if was pretty black, but like oil, not like hot fudge. Diff fluid stinks too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 9 of 9 Posts