Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 93 YJ which the PO did some frankenstein work on...I find something new that wasn't done quite right every time it goes into the shop.

I took it to get the brakes cleaned up and serviced, the guy was old school and loves jeeps. I have a couple of things going wrong right now, but I'm most concerned with:

Rear differential isn't meshing properly (?) but the mechanic wasn't sure. I get a bang/kick noise randomly - he thinks there's something not working quite right as one tire is locking, and the other isn't. I've had someone describe it as one tire looks "loose" when I'm stopping.

Here's the twist: the mechanic tells me this isn't an OEM axle. His best guess is that it was off of a truck.

At this point with some supervision I need to crawl under there...I want to pop off the cover and replace the fluid. I have a Chilton, which I hope will tell me what kind of fluid I need.

Advice, tips, guesses on my axle? How often does the diff fluid need to be changed out? I can post pics later.

****sorry...axle...no sleep.

·
Registered
680 Posts
sounds like a detroit locker in the rear. need pictures. chiltons don't tell much, probably say use gl-5. gear oil. I change diff fluid after a lot of water crossings, but the book probably says every 50,000.(that's a guess) I use mobile one 75-90 synthetic.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Need a pic. of the rear cover to identify.Could be a ford 8.8 in there and some of those came with a limited slip.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will post pics tonight. best case the fluids were changed 2 years ago. but I've put less than 10k miles on it. not a daily driver. going to the dunes for my bday in a few weeks and want to clean up the problems.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok here are some pics - sorry I just got home and it's dark out. let me know if anyone can help based on these.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is a D35 and if you have a 4 cyl. it will 4:11 gears. It sounds like your spider gears are going out. They are usally the first thing to go.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a D35 and if you have a 4 cyl. it will 4:11 gears. It sounds like your spider gears are going out. They are usally the first thing to go.
I have a 6cyl engine. Sounds like the consensus is I have an OEM D35 axle/differential. (thank you thank you :flowers:)

Sorry I'm a little uneducated on this. My goal this weekend is to take it apart, drain the fluid, take a ton of pics, and try to figure out what is going wrong.

what kind of diff fluid and how much will I need?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's what I think I need (based on some research):

- socket set (1/2")
- oil pan
- diff fluid (what kind/how much?)
- rubber mallet
- brake cleaner
- sealant (what kind?)
- most important: paper towels

Do I need a suction pump to put fluid back in, or is it relatively easy to pour it back in when you're refilling?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Heh, if your mechanic says that's not a stock axle, you might want to look into a new one. :)

3.75 pints of gear oil is what you need. RTV sealant. I use a fluid transfer pump otherwise it will get messy and gear oil stinks.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heh, if your mechanic says that's not a stock axle, you might want to look into a new one. :)
Thank you for the recommendation :flowers:

The day I find a mechanic that is right 100% of the time, and isn't ripping me off...well...pigs and wings and all that. But yeah, that's a pretty big screw up.

That was one of my trips minus a guy friend. I need to get a loaner tough guy to go with me to the mechanic. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hey, we all start somewhere. I can say this about mechanics and what you can learn yourself from forums. 99% of the time, the forums and the general commonwealth of knowledge here will know more than the best mechanics out there. A general mechanic has to know enough to work on all cars, but forums are specific to one particular vehicle and a group of thousands of enthusiasts will usually be able to tell you stuff even the mechanics can't figure out. ;)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
performed service - pics...any obvious problems?

ok so I performed a rear diff service, pulled the cover off, cleaned out the insides, scraped off all of the old sealant, sealed it back up and put in new fluid.

once I took the cover off and cleaned out the gears I took some pictures (sorry for the quality, I only had my phone on hand)...is there anything in here that looks obviously worn or looks like a problem?

when I drained it, it was low on fluid and the fluid was pretty gross. it feels like it's running a bit smoother, but I'm still getting a "bang" or a kick when I'm cruising to a stop.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
That looks like a Limited Slip Dif., and that's a good thing, most LSD need a friction modifier added at oil change, some one that knows what to add will chime in, and you should run matching rear tires with same air pressure.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Oh, it is set up spring over axle, [SOA] :thumb:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have leaf springs, I can't find any information readily available online as to whether I have a limited slip differential or not...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts