Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure out what my rear diff. is but i'm having troulbe seeing the model number and i've tried to match the shape to some pictures showing the different dana axels model. My question is how else can i figure out what im working with?

·
Registered
210 Posts
If its got a rubber plug its a D35c if its got a square drive set screw its a D44
You can also request a build sheet from the dealer if its still the stock axle

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
You can tell as mentioned by the plug, but all you really have to do is look at it and compare it to this chart or any of the others floating around out there...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
One more way... the Dana 35c has a perfectly oval differential cover. No edges, no angles... all curved. If it's oval, it's a Dana 35c. If it has any corners or straight lines on it, it's a Dana 44.

Ah heck, to cut to the chase here are a couple pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I can confirm Jerry's comment... You can go up to 33" on D44 before having to think about re-gearing.

I have 33" on my D44 Rubicon and it is fine at all speeds, even highway. Is a daily driver and will run 70 all day long at a little under 3k RPM.
If you are in a Rubicon with 4.10 gears already, you could upgrade to 33" and would not fell like you have to run out and re-gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts