Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I getting ready to put the lift on my 04 Jeep and I couldn't decide what size tires to go with. The local 4X4 shop told me to look at my rear diff and find out if I had 354 or 373 Rear Diff. So I crawled under my baby and I couldn't find either of those two numbers. Does anyone know exactly where to find them without having to do the turning tire deal?

·
Registered
529 Posts
There should be a metal tag bolted to your diff cover. It will have some numbers on it, one will be your gear ratio

·
Administrator
12,639 Posts
Why does the shop need to know the gears?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
and why can't the shop look themselves if they want to know...

seems odd. maybe you should consider another shop.....

·
Administrator
12,639 Posts
Oh wait, for the tire size.. you have a 6 or a 4? 5spd or auto? If the 6 either of those with 33's is fine.. although the 3.73's would be a bit better.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Mine is just stamped on the differential. Unless therer has been a lot of mods I would be pretty confident that what it has stamped is right.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I getting ready to put the lift on my 04 Jeep and I couldn't decide what size tires to go with. The local 4X4 shop told me to look at my rear diff and find out if I had 354 or 373 Rear Diff. So I crawled under my baby and I couldn't find either of those two numbers. Does anyone know exactly where to find them without having to do the turning tire deal?
you could have 3.07's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shop told me if I had 3.73 I could run 33's and not effect my gas mileage as much. I've made up my mind and no matter what I'm rolling 33's.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
The shop told me if I had 3.73 I could run 33's and not effect my gas mileage as much. I've made up my mind and no matter what I'm rolling 33's.
i've heard many disaster stories of 33's on dana 35...that thing is always on my mind when wheeling...so i'm very gentle and use finesse and i stop as soon as i start spinning AT ALL. you should be very gentle too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i've heard many disaster stories of 33's on dana 35...that thing is always on my mind when wheeling...so i'm very gentle and use finesse and i stop as soon as i start spinning AT ALL. you should be very gentle too.

In your opinion, would that be resolved by running 32's?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Don't run a full locker in the rear and have some spare shafts on hand. Running 32's aren't that much different than 33's. It's not the tire spinning that hurts it bigjeep, it's the sudden deceleration when that spinning wheel that grabs traction and snaps axles.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Don't run a full locker in the rear and have some spare shafts on hand. Running 32's aren't that much different than 33's. It's not the tire spinning that hurts it bigjeep, it's the sudden deceleration when that spinning wheel that grabs traction and snaps axles.
yes i know this but there was a huge thread on this on another board and a bunch of the experienced guys were saying there were situations where the D35 broke that you wouldn't believe...in other words, the thing broke when they weren't even being hard on it. so thats why i don't let the tires spin too much...so that if they do suddenly grab traction then its not enough force to break it...

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
In your opinion, would that be resolved by running 32's?
i've heard of much more people on 33's and bigger break an axle than i have of people on 32's and smaller...all i know is that i definitely won't go bigger than my 32's until i upgrade the axle. i'm sure if your gentle on it you'll be fine but i just don't wanna push it at all so i'm staying at 32's...

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Anything is possible but I belive if your just easy on it the d35 will be fine.

If you havent figured out the gear ratio yet, I believe that I remember seeing it stamped on the ring gear, so if your due for a diff lube change you can check.
^can someone verify(?) that^

·
Registered
153 Posts
I run 33's and I haven't held too much back and my Dana 35 is doing fine. (knock on wood) As for gears, from the factory it will be either 3.73 or 3.07. Take your vin to the dealer and they will be able to tell you exactly what gears are in it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think that the guys who run rocks alot are the ones breaking them.There are thousands of jeeps running the d35 with 33s with no trouble.I am running 33s with Detroit Tru Trac limited slips in the front and rear,6 cyl,5 speed and 4.10 gears.I mostly run trails that are off camber,steep and muddy.Isthe D35 bullet proof?No but there isn't an axle out there that is. Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts